Cohabitation

"Is my mom around?" Jane asks as she pours her morning coffee.

"I don't know. I think she picked up some extra hours" Maura responds finishing her makeup. "I feel like I haven't seen her in ages" Jane says as she takes a sip. "I can't believe I am going to say this but I miss her" Jane says confused at the statement leaving her lips.

"Well let's plan to do something together this weekend then." Maura said smiling as she kissed Jane's cheek grabbing the cup of coffee Jane prepared for her.

"What should we do? We could go to a hockey game, the Bruins are in town." Jane proposed.

"How about jello shots and arm wrestling" Maura quipped back.

Jane stood there with a look of bewilderment on her face. "Oh you were joking." She finally said.

"Yes, let's do a girls night." Maura stated happily.

Jane again stood there with a look of bewilderment. "Ohh goodie, what does that entail, wine tasting and waxing?" Jane smirked

"No" Maura laughed "How about dinner here and a movie."

"Ok, that's actually not a bad plan but you do the cooking, please" Jane said as she looked into Maura's eyes leaning down for a kiss. "As long as you do the dishes" Maura responded. "Ok, deal" Jane replied happily.

"You know what I just wanted to say how much I enjoy waking up and coming over to have morning coffee and breakfast with you." Jane said lovingly.

Maura stopped making her toast and looked up. "You know Jane, we could do this every morning." Jane nodded "That would be amazing." "We could eliminate the you coming over part..." Maura paused as Jane looked at her curiously. "You know if you were just already here in the morning."

"Ohh, well I can't stay over every night. I have to visit my apartment at least a few nights a week." Jane said

"And what do you do when stay at your apartment?" Maura huffed

"Well... drink beer, watch sports" Jane was talking with a huge grin when she looked towards Maura her face dropped at Maura's almost somber look. "And I miss you so very, very much." Jane finished

Maura took a step closer, her heart pounding in her chest. "Yes. You spend so much time here already, and I can't help but feel that... well, that maybe it's time we consider... living together."

Jane's eyes widened in surprise, her mouth slightly agape. "Living together?"

Maura nodded, her gaze unwavering. "Yes. I know it's a big step, but... I care about you deeply, Jane. And I believe that sharing a home would only strengthen our bond."

Jane's expression softened, a hint of warmth in her eyes. "Maura, I... I don't know what to say."

Maura reached out, gently taking Jane's hand in hers. "You don't have to say anything right now. Just... think about it. Consider the possibility."

Jane squeezed Maura's hand, a tender smile gracing her lips. "I will, Maura. I promise."

Saved by the the ringtones coming from both cellphones. "Rizzoli" "Isles"

"Anything yet?" Jane asked, glancing up from her notes.

Maura shook her head, her expression grave. "Not yet. The evidence is inconclusive, but I can't shake the feeling that we're missing something crucial."

Jane let out a frustrated sigh, running a hand through her tousled hair. "Damn it. This case is driving me crazy."

As if on cue, Detective Vince Korsak strode into the room, a determined look on his weathered face. "Hey, guys. We got a lead on the Doe case."

Jane and Maura exchanged a glance, their interest piqued. "What kind of lead?" Jane asked.

Korsak handed Jane a file, his expression grim. "A witness came forward claiming to have seen something the night of the murder. Says they saw a figure lurking in the shadows near the crime scene."

Maura leaned in closer, her eyes narrowing in thought. "Any description of the suspect?"

Korsak shook his head. "Not much to go on. Just a vague outline, but it's better than nothing."

Jane stood up, determination flashing in her eyes. "Alright, let's follow up on this lead. Maura, you coming?"

Maura nodded, gathering her belongings swiftly. "No, I want to go over the body again to make sure I didn't miss anything"

The duo made their way to the crime scene, the air heavy with anticipation. As they combed through the area, searching for any clues that might shed light on the mystery, Jane's phone rang, breaking the silence.

"Rizzoli," Jane answered, her voice tense.

A voice crackled over the line, urgency lacing every word. "Jane, we've got a problem. Another body just turned up, same M.O. as the Doe case."

Jane's heart sank, a sense of dread settling over her. "Damn it. Alright, we're on our way."

With a shared glance, Jane and Korsak hurried to the scene of the new crime, their minds racing with the weight of the investigation. As they arrived, the flashing lights of the squad cars illuminated the darkness, casting long shadows over the grim tableau before them.

"Looks like we've got our work cut out for us," Jane muttered, steeling herself for the task ahead as she walked towards Maura waiting at the crime scene.

Maura nodded, her expression resolute. "Agreed. But we won't rest until we bring whoever's responsible to justice."

Back in the bullpen as Detective Jane Rizzoli and Detective Vince Korsak sat side by side continually going over the evidence but not uncovering anything new, their voices lowered in conversation. Jane fidgeted with a pen, her thoughts swirling with uncertainty.

"Hey, Korsak," Jane began, her tone hesitant. "Can I talk to you about something?"

Korsak turned to her, his eyes kind and attentive. "Of course, Jane. What's on your mind?"

Jane took a deep breath, her gaze fixed on the floor. "It's about Maura."

Korsak nodded, understanding dawning in his eyes. "You mean moving in together?"

Jane's heart skipped a beat, surprised by Korsak's perceptiveness. "Yeah, how did you...?"

Korsak chuckled softly. "I've known you both for a long time, Jane. It's not hard to see what's going on."

Jane sighed, running a hand through her hair. "It's just... it's a big step, you know? I mean, Maura's apartment is practically my second home already, but moving in together... it's different."

Korsak nodded, his expression sympathetic. "I get it. But think about it, Jane. You and Maura, you're good for each other. You balance each other out."

Jane frowned, uncertainty gnawing at her. "But what if it doesn't work out? What if we realize we're better off just... staying as we are?"

Korsak reached out, placing a reassuring hand on Jane's shoulder. "You'll never know unless you try, Jane. And besides, even if things don't work out, it doesn't mean your friendship has to suffer. You two have been through too much together to let something like this come between you."

Jane's shoulders relaxed slightly, a sense of clarity washing over her. "Thanks, Korsak. I needed to hear that."

Korsak smiled warmly. "Anytime, kid. Just remember, whatever you decide, I'll always have your back."

Jane returned the smile, gratitude shining in her eyes. "I know, Korsak. And I appreciate it."

As they sat there, surrounded by the familiar bustle of the precinct, Jane couldn't help but feel a newfound sense of resolve. Whatever the future held, she knew that with Korsak's support and Maura by her side, she could face it with courage and determination. And perhaps, just perhaps, their shared journey would lead them to a place where their hearts could truly feel at home.