Sibling Talks

Still puzzled over the current case Jane Rizzoli sat on her sofa with ESPN humming in the background, her mind preoccupied with the events of the day. She absentmindedly flipped through a case file, her thoughts drifting to potentially moving in with Maura.

A sudden knock at the door broke the silence, pulling Jane from her reverie. She rose from her seat, crossing the room to answer it. To her surprise, Frankie stood on the doorstep, a sheepish smile on his face.

"Hey, Janie," Frankie greeted, his tone nervous.

Jane raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued. "What are you doing here? I thought you were working late."

Frankie shuffled his feet, avoiding Jane's gaze. "Yeah, about that... I, uh, I wanted to talk to you about something."

Jane's interest deepened, concern flickering in her eyes. "Ok, do you want a beer? What is it, Frankie? Is everything okay?"

Frankie took a deep breath, steeling himself for what he was about to say. "Umm..yeah I'll take a beer. It's about Nina. We're... we're dating."

Jane's eyes widened in surprise, her mouth forming a silent 'O' of astonishment. She blinked a few times, trying to process the revelation as she opened two beers handing one to Frankie and taking a long drag from hers. "You and Nina? Since when?"

Frankie scratched the back of his neck, a nervous laugh escaping him. "Uh, for a few weeks now. It just kind of... happened."

Jane felt a whirlwind of emotions swirl within her—surprise, disbelief, and a hint of concern for her brother's happiness. She knew Nina was a good person, but the idea of her brother dating a colleague caught her off guard.

"I... I don't know what to say, Does Ma know?" Jane admitted, struggling to find the right words.

Frankie's expression softened, his eyes pleading for understanding. "I know it's unexpected, Janie, but... we really care about each other. I hope you can be happy for us. We planned on telling Ma and everyone else soon. Looking for the right time, I guess"

Jane sighed, realizing that her brother was all grown up and capable of making his own decisions. "Of course, Frankie. I want you to be happy. Just... promise me you'll be careful, okay?"

Frankie nodded, relief flooding his features. "I promise. Thanks, Janie. We were thinking of telling everyone at family dinner Sunday. What do you think?"

"I think everyone is going to be happy for both of you" Jane smiled as she pulled her younger brother in for a hug.

Frankie finished his beer, "Well I need to run I actually have a date with Nina tonight."

Jane smiled as she sat back down on her sofa "Have fun... and don't do anything I wouldn't do" laughing.

Frankie rolled his eyes as he opened the door "Really Geez, night Janie."

Maura's home provided a comforting backdrop as Jane Rizzoli paced back and forth, her mind consumed by the weight of the news she carried. Maura sat on the couch, a concerned expression etched on her features as she watched her friend's restless movements.

"Jane, you seem agitated. Is everything alright?" Maura inquired, her voice soft and gentle.

Jane halted her pacing, running a hand through her hair in frustration. "It's Frankie. He... he told me something today, and I don't know how to feel about it."

Maura's brow furrowed in curiosity. "What did he tell you?"

Jane took a deep breath, steeling herself for the revelation. "He and Nina... they're dating."