18. Galas and Rich People Things

Summer slowly comes to an end. It's weird to think that technically I've only been married for like two months, it feels like way longer. Really, it's only been this summer.

I ended up visiting my family at least once a week which was great. Ice and I came up with a system where I'd drive him to a nearby library so he could study (he's also doing an online degree) and I'd hang out with my family. Then we'd head back home together and Dante wouldn't even know that we're both not following his bodyguard rules.

My friends came over a lot more during the last few weeks too cause there was an insane heat wave and I have a swimming pool and air conditioning that actually works.

Ice avoided them whenever they'd be here, claiming that, "they're probably just like you and one you is more than enough around,". Lowkey I wasn't mad though since that way we could just be ourselves and hang out while he stayed in his room or the gym.

My girls also encountered Dante a few times and he was polite I guess, or as polite as he can be. Like, he didn't totally ignore their presence, and since my friends are way too nice, they attempted to make conversation with him and he did reciprocate so I guess that's good.

He knows their names now which is a little worrying 'cause that means he can use them against me, but so far he hasn't. I think of all this as I stand in the entryway with them saying bye.

We probably won't be able to hang out super often since school is starting next week, and it's making me surprisingly teary. The one thing which slightly consoles me is that Madison and Samirah are staying in-state for college, and Jocelyn is going to Penn State which is only like two hours away.

I squeeze them all tightly, trying not to cry.

"Don't cry," Jocelyn says, her voice breaking. "If you cry I'll cry."

"I'm not crying," I whisper, the knot in my throat almost choking me. "I'm just gonna miss you guys so much."

"We'll FaceTime like all the time," Madison wipes a tear from her eyes.

"Yeah," I sniffle. "I guess so."

Samirah gives me a sad look, "You're really not going to UVA?"

"No," I wipe my nose. "He was very adamant about that." (He threatened to kill my cousin.)

"That really sucks Marty," Jocelyn hugs me again. "I think you would've liked it there."

"It's okay," I say, even though I'm still bitter. "I enrolled in online classes at a local college so it's not like I'm not gonna get any post-secondary."

They all nod approvingly. I did have to switch my plans a little bit though. I'm now doing a general business degree when I originally wanted to do a degree in hospitality and tourism. My Uncle Felix offered to try to see if I can get into NYU since he'a a biology professor there, but that was a dead end. Oh well. At least I'm getting a degree one way or another.

I'm still hugging my friends, telling them to tell me everything about their new lives and adventures when Dante walks in, shaking the rain from his hair. I'm not sure why he doesn't just park his car in the garage so he can avoid getting rained on, but whatever that's not my problem.

There's a chorus of, "Hey's," from my friends  since they have manners.

"Samirah, Madison, Jocelyn," he nods at all of them when he says their name, turning to me proudly.

"Wow babe," I gasp fakely. "You learned my friends' names!" I bat my eyelashes exaggeratedly. "The bare minimum, you shouldn't have."

I touch my heart and move to throw my arms around him, really committing to the bit. He grumbles, dodging me and going upstairs. I turn back to my friends, grinning.