First Day

Y/n weaved through the morning traffic on his sleek motorcycle, the sun already high in the sky. Beside him, Dick's scarlet red classic Mustang roared, keeping pace. They weren't just commuting; they were racing. Was it illegal and probably dangerous? Absolutely. Were they also on the verge of being late for their first day of school? Definitely.

As they approached the school, Y/n edged ahead, pulling into the lead. He skidded to a stop in an open parking space, and Dick pulled up alongside him.

Y/n removed his helmet and hooked it on the handlebar. "This race doesn't count. It wasn't fair," Dick complained as he stepped out of his car.

"One of the perks of having a bike. I don't get stuck in traffic," Y/n retorted with a snicker, causing Dick to roll his eyes. Y/n slung his bag over his shoulder, feeling the freedom of not wearing his usual uniform.

"You know, it feels weird not wearing a uniform," Dick remarked.

"Thank God. I could go without it," Y/n responded, relieved.

As they walked toward the school entrance, the bell rang, marking the start of the first period.

"I knew you were going to make us late," Dick accused.

"Hey, I'm not the one who woke up late," Y/n shot back.

"Yeah, well I'm not the one who sat in the shower for an hour. Who even takes that long?" Dick countered.

"Me, dipshit. I gotta look good, you know," Y/n shrugged, his tone light and teasing as they entered the school.

___________
A New Light
________________

Y/n and Dick found themselves in the principal's office quicker than they had navigated the morning traffic. The room was austere, lined with certificates and awards that reflected the principal's strict adherence to excellence. Principal Matthews, a stern-looking man with a reputation for discipline, sat behind his desk, peering over his glasses at the two latecomers.

 Principal Matthews, a stern-looking man with a reputation for discipline, sat behind his desk, peering over his glasses at the two latecomers

"Mr. Wayne, Mr. Grayson, being new does not grant you the liberty to disregard our school's schedule," Principal Matthews began, his tone firm and unyielding. "Punctuality is a basic expectation here, not an optional one."

Dick nodded, offering a polite, "Understood, sir," but Y/n stayed silent, his expression neutral.

Principal Matthews turned his attention fully towards Y/n. "And Mr. Wayne, while your adoption by Bruce Wayne might carry weight in social circles, it will not sway the standards we uphold in this institution," he continued. "I have taken the liberty of reviewing your record from Gotham Academy. It is...concerning."

Y/n shifted uncomfortably in his seat, but his face remained impassive. Dick shot him a quick, concerned glance but said nothing.

"I won't ask for details—that is your private matter—but let me be clear: any behavior that disrupted your previous school will not be tolerated here. Is that understood?" Principal Matthews fixed Y/n with a firm gaze, expecting compliance.

Y/n met his stare, his voice steady as he responded, "Completely understood, sir. There won't be any trouble from me."

Principal Matthews seemed to weigh Y/n's sincerity for a moment before nodding slowly. "Good. I expect both of you to adhere strictly to our rules. The reputation of Jump City High is not to be taken lightly. Now, make sure this is the last time you visit my office under such circumstances."

Y/n and Dick stood up, ready to leave the principal's office after the stern warning, but Principal Matthews wasn't quite finished with them yet.

"Before you go, there's someone I'd like you to meet," the principal said, gesturing towards the door. The door opened and a girl stepped in, her presence marked by a confident stride and an observant gaze. She had an air of familiarity, something about her that spoke of Gotham as much as they did.

"This is Stephanie Brown, a relatively new student who also transferred from Gotham not too long ago," Principal Matthews introduced

"This is Stephanie Brown, a relatively new student who also transferred from Gotham not too long ago," Principal Matthews introduced. "Stephanie, these are our newest students, Y/n Wayne and Dick Grayson."

Stephanie extended her hand, her smile friendly yet measured. "Nice to meet you both. Gotham, huh? Small world."

Dick shook her hand, returning the smile. "Yeah, seems like it follows us."

Y/n nodded in greeting, his curiosity piqued. "Heard anything interesting about this place yet?"

"Enough to keep it interesting," Stephanie replied, her eyes twinkling with a hint of mischief. "I can show you around, help you get the lay of the land here if you want."

"That'd be great," Y/n responded, grateful for the friendly overture in an otherwise unwelcoming morning.

"Excellent," Principal Matthews said, clearly pleased with the exchange. "Stephanie, please take them to their first class. And all of you, remember what we discussed about punctuality and behavior."

As they left the office, Stephanie leaned in slightly, lowering her voice. "Don't worry, the principal's bark is worse than his bite. You guys will fit in just fine here," she assured them, leading the way down the bustling hallway.

"So, you're from Gotham? What brought you to Jump City?" Y/n inquired casually as they walked down the crowded school hallway.

"My dad thought it'd be a good idea to leave all the chaos behind, and he mentioned something about wanting to get away from Batman's shadow," Stephanie explained with a casual shrug. "How about you guys? It's not every day we see the Wayne boys outside of Gotham."

"We just figured it was time to branch out, try something new on our own," Dick responded, his tone light.

"I totally get that. It's nice having a bit of freedom, isn't it? Doing things your own way," Stephanie nodded in agreement. As they continued walking, Y/n noticed a Batman symbol keychain dangling from her bag, accompanied by ones for Robin and Falcon.

"Big fan of Batman and his crew, huh?" he asked, nodding towards her bag.

"Yeah, Batman's pretty impressive. He can be a bit gloomy, but he keeps us safe, so he's cool in my book. Robin seems awesome too, from what I see in the news. And Falcon? There's something intriguing about him, and he's pretty cute. Makes me wonder what he looks like underneath," Stephanie remarked with a playful smirk.

Y/n felt his cheeks warm slightly at her comment. Dick noticed and gave him a teasing elbow nudge, which Y/n brushed off. "Got your schedules yet?" Stephanie then asked, shifting the topic.

Y/n and Dick both retrieved their schedules from their bags. "Here they are," Y/n said, handing them over.

"Thanks," Stephanie said, quickly scanning the schedules. "Looks like you both landed in my first period science class. You're in luck—science here is actually pretty fun. You're going to enjoy it. Mr. Light is one of the best teachers here." she added with a confident smile.