Chapter 22 - Heartfelt conversations

Khushi swiftly made her way to the wooden deck, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. While Arnav trailed behind her, his expression etched with concern.

"Khushi, wait!"

"No, Arnav ji!" she halted on her steps, facing her back to him, "I can't stay here any longer. I've to go back home."

"Khushi, I understand that -"

"No, you don't understand me, Arnav ji. You don't have any idea of the challenges and complexities I face in my life," she stated sadly as she turned to look at him, voicing out her apprehensions to him, "My parents would be deeply disappointed and angry with me if they knew there were unmarried couples sharing a room here. They certainly wouldn't have allowed me to stay here for even a minute if they knew this was what was going on behind their backs. I'm sure even Nani and Mami Ji don't know anything about Akash Ji as they would never allow this."

"Participating in this trip now makes me feel remorseful, as I have betrayed the trust placed in me by my father and Nani," she said with a stifled sob.

"Baba, stop crying first. Can we sit and talk calmly?" he asked affectionately, a frown forming on his forehead as he expressed his discomfort in witnessing her hazel eyes welling up with tears.

He gently led a quiet and apprehensive Khushi to a table furnished with two wood benches.

He sat down next to her, ready to explain his side of the story, "Khushi, even though they are my family, I can't dictate how they should live their lives. I know Nani and Mami have no idea about Akash and Payal's relationship, nor does Aman's mother know they've already taken the next step in their relationship. So, what should I do? Should I stop hanging out with my cousin and my best friend because of the decisions they make in their personal lives? As adults, they and their partners are entitled to make their own decisions, and it would be inappropriate for me or anyone here to meddle in their personal affairs. Should this matter concern Ayan, I would have stepped in to make a decision since he is a minor and also my responsibility."

"I'm trying to convey to you that you shouldn't feel guilty about Akash and Aman's personal choices. You're not doing anything wrong on this trip, so why do you feel like you've betrayed your father and Nani's trust? You're here with me, right? I'm the one responsible for you and Ayan here. Please don't be concerned about what others are doing here. Just enjoy this trip with your close friends, Khushi. Don't think too much about this," Arnav said calmly as he extended his hand to her for her to hold in agreement, "Okay?"

Khushi placed her hand on top of his, her gaze lifting to meet his. With a gaze that mirrored the turbulence within, she poured her heart out, sharing with him her deepest fear and worries, "Arnav ji, I understand that it may be easier for you to remain uninvolved and impartial in this situation. However, for me, the circumstances are different. I have always had to be cautious while choosing my friends. When I was 14 years old, I faced punishment because a friend of mine received a rose from a guy, and somehow, the whole neighbourhood, including my parents, found out. My father disapproved of my friendship with that girl and reprimanded me for it, confining me to my room for an entire day. Earlier, I used to get reprimanded and confined to my room as a form of discipline. However, if Babu Ji finds out what is happening here, he will punish me by discontinuing my education, taking me back to Lucknow, and arranging my marriage against my wishes. I am concerned about jeopardizing my academic career, Arnav ji. I have fought hard to make my dreams come true and made a commitment to my father to uphold our family's reputation before coming here. And now, I find myself in a situation where I may have to break this promise."

Arnav gazed at her intently. He understood that the unsettling thoughts occupying her mind would prevent her from fully enjoying this trip. With a soft sigh, he raised his hand to her head and patted it affectionately. "I don't want to risk your academic career either. Let's do one thing. I will return your bag to the car. We're leaving in an hour."