18. Rune's POV: Rescue Mission

Destiny allowed me to hold and embrace her throughout the night, and her presence in my arms felt absolutely perfect. Her soft, full lips were just as enticing as they appeared. It was a rare occasion where I allowed myself to simply enjoy the sensation of kissing her until we both fell asleep, entwined in each other's embrace. I never ventured beyond touching her waist and face, as much as I desired to see her naked and share a bed with her. The taste of her lips was all I craved at that moment.

On our journey back to my farm, I notice Destiny leaning closer to me, appearing more at ease under my touch. I can't help but wonder if she has ever been with a man before, and what her perception of me was after the incident with Haklang in town. Bryma was just one of the many women I had been involved with in the past few years. Despite being only twenty-one, I had been pursued by girls since I was fifteen, though I only entertained the attractive ones if I'm being honest with myself. Except for that one time Kolbjorn and I got really drunk at the alehouse. I cringe at the memory.

Destiny opens up to me about her job serving food at a local restaurant, which she describes as fancier and busier than the pubs in our area. She also shares details about Cassie and Miles, whom she had met Cass as she calls her, in foster care, a place that sounded truly dreadful for children without parents. They had crossed paths with Miles, who prefers the company of men, at school, a place where children learn to read and write. The stark contrast between her world, America, and mine fascinates me.

As we finally arrive back at the farm, I spot Kolbjorn and my mother donning their battle armor and preparing to mount their horses. Urging Vidar forward, we gallop towards them, immediately sensing that something is wrong.

"What's the matter?" I inquire without hesitation, pulling Vidar to a sudden halt.

"Vidkunn and his nephews came by this morning, and they took Asta," Kolbjorn grinds out between clenched teeth, sending a chill down my spine.

"What?" I need confirmation. Did I hear correctly? This is all my damn fault. Killing Haklang was a necessary evil, considering his abusive nature towards his wife and the atrocious acts he committed against young women. He even threatened Destiny. I knew she wouldn't be safe if he remained alive. I could see it in his eyes.

"Blann paid a visit to the house and delivered a message: if you want Asta back, you'll have to retrieve her yourself," he dryly responds, prompting me to dismount and assist Destiny off the horse. I can see the worry etched on her face.

"Stay here with Remi and Kamilla. We've hidden more swords in the wall where Asta and Kamilla hid during the raid. Use them if necessary. I'll be back as soon as possible." Before she can reply, I grab her face and plant a kiss on her lips, disregarding the opinions of those around us. It may be the last time I see her. No, I refuse to entertain that thought. Death has never been a concern for me, and today won't be any different. I'll eliminate them all to rescue my sister.

"Please be careful. There's something I need to tell you when you return," she whispers in my ear, reaching up on her tiptoes to kiss my cheek. I give her one final kiss on the lips before mounting Vidar once again. Kolbjorn, Vigdis, and I burst into a full gallop, not sparing a glance backward. Our sole focus is to bring Asta back home safely. I barely even have time to wonder what Destiny wants to tell me.

We ride for hours until exhaustion forces us to stop and give our horses some rest. Normally, I would have recommended stopping earlier to tend to them, but not when my sister's life hangs in the balance. Her innocence. If any of them lay a hand on her, I will ensure they suffer slowly.

The three of us find a fallen tree beside a small stream where the horses drink. The ground is still covered in snow and ice, although not as severe as before. Spring is just a few fortnights away.