The Mismatched Jewels

I DO NOT OWN NARUTO.

I OWN ALL THE OCs in this story.

This work is my own work and cannot be published by someone else without my consent.

Chapter 13

The Mismatched Jewels

4 months...

It has been four months since the fateful day when his dojutsu was revealed to the Hokage, and he got to know about another one of his clan members.

He took a day to grieve for the family he never knew, and the boy with the same eyes as him.

Minato and Kushina were greatly relieved when they found out that their secret had been revealed to the Hokage and Jiraiya. Minato was worried that hiding such secrets would make them traitors to the leaf, so he was naturally pleased that they no longer had to bear the burden of keeping this secret.

Naruto also informed them about Nagato, which left them both astonished. As they were already aware of the power held by Naruto's eyes, it was by no surprise that the existence of more than one pair of such eyes would cause such a reaction.

Leaving that behind, the three of them had worked even harder for the past months and had been progressing nicely in their skills.

The clearing Naruto had discovered a few months before technically became a second home for him, as he would train or just gaze at the sky. The redhead was just a couple of months short of mastering Doton and Fuuton, currently being able to use B-rank jutsus with ease.

During this time, Naruto had developed a peculiar habit of regularly training at the clearing and spending long hours gazing at the night sky. This practice had an unusual impact on him - he became obsessed with the night. The enigmatic redhead felt a sense of freedom and relief while admiring the star-adorned sky and it seemed to have left a lasting impression on him. To him, the night, which was free from all the glazing lights and the piercing sounds, gave him a refuge from all his burdens and responsibilities, and he wished to relish the mental euphoria that he would get.

Also, the group project of the trio, which aimed to recreate the Hiraishin, was already halfway done. They had decided to keep their progress a secret from Jiraiya, as they planned to surprise him. However, there was no doubt in their minds that Jiraiya would be shocked out of his mind to see three genins successfully unveil the secrets of the Nidaime's prized jutsu.

Kushina had also started working on her special seal, which would absorb and redirect all forms of ninjutsu. Although her progress was minimal, as unlike Minato, her seal was entirely original, and she needed some form to base her seal on.

During these three months, Team Jiraiya went through several C-rank missions and even a couple of B-ranks. After completing the minimum advised D-ranks within the first month itself, neither Hiruzen nor Jiraiya saw any reason to have the trio do more D-ranks, with Jiraiya himself being witness to their already flawless teamwork.

Needless to say, Jiraiya trusted his team a lot and was confident in their abilities, which was proven by the fact that throughout the C-ranks Team Jiraiya went through, Jiraiya had to interrupt only a couple of times, as the trio had proven itself capable of taking care of their missions by themselves multiple times.

It is due to this trust and confidence that Team Jiraiya found itself in the Hokage's office, which was lit up by the bright light of the morning sun.

The reason?

Team Jiraiya was going on its first long term C-rank....

without Jiraiya.

—X—X—X—