83/A January In Idaho

Scott Blue POV

I'm not a homeless man anymore, I don't even have to worry about buying winter jackets, or scarves, or hats, although it's much colder here in Idaho than back home in Tennessee. The homeless people here would never survive in these conditions. Here I was, living in a mall for free, sheltered from the weather.   

I spent each night sleeping alone in the bed that I made for myself in the hidden basement. I was under an office desk, so it was pitch dark, and very sheltered. Nobody would see me hiding here. The only problem is that the music is playing the whole time, so it's never fully quiet, even at night. 

I went to buy myself ear plugs, so that I can sleep nicer, and I got myself so many clothes. These were by far the cleanest clothes you ever did see.

In order to keep them so clean, I did actually had to go out in the snow and walk to the laundromat to do my own laundry. It wasn't overly expensive, and now since I'm older and more mature, people don't ask me about my parents as much as they did before.

Whenever I'm at the over crowded food court, I can't help but to notice the single person carousel that was in the center of it. It was great for poor people, because it only cost a quarter, but I'm sure that poor people would probably want to keep their quarters instead of wasting it on a fake horse. I had money now that I've lived here, and I don't have a curfew to worry about, so I have no reason at all to not ride that. However, after I ate my frozen yogurt (which was delicious) I put in my quarter, and was about to jump on the shiny fake horse, only to have this older woman start yelling at me. "You're too old for that!" She says, "This is for the four year olds, like my Grandkids!"

"Oh, well, I don't have to worry about that because I'm here by myself." I explain to her, only to have her fling me on to the floor as she grabs her miserable looking four year old granddaughter and forces her to ride the freaking horse even though I payed for the ride.

I got up quickly in full rage, although I hate it. "I payed for that!" I tell her. "That was my quarter, and I payed for that!"

"Why do you care? Don't you have someplace to be?" 

Yes. I left the rest of my money stash in the mall basement. I did have someplace to be, but she doesn't need to know that.

I quickly ran away from her, because at least that works.

I made sure that nobody was looking as I ran back to the secret underground basement down all the stairs to the wide peaceful hallway, into the abandoned office place that I kept my money stash in. I grab a few more quarters just in case I get flinged off the horse again. It's best to be ready for anything after all.

I kept the quarters in my pockets, and once I got to the middle of the food court where the carousel was, I notice a few employees at the carousel mobbing around the area. There were a few signs in front of it that read closed.

"Why is that closed?" I ask them, "......Did someone die?"

The man looks at me and grins. "A child threw up on this, so it's going to be closed for the rest of today. We wouldn't want anybody getting an illness."

"Um.... alright." I tried to not sound as disappointed as I really was.

The man says, "We are taking it down soon actually. It's been here for more than twenty years now. It takes up so much space, and you know how everyone is so crazy about the food court."

"When are you planning on taking it down?"

"Probably very soon. Maybe next week."

"Where are you going to take it?"