Chapter One: Moment of Truth

Y/N's POV

Since I was out in the early morning, the traffic within San Francisco wasn't too terrible and I was able to leave the city to return home to drop off the groceries. However, while going through San Francisco, there were no signs of my dad or any of his friends. They must be looking for a place to have brunch.

Once I was out of the city and in the neighborhood where my house was, I arrived back home, but instead of parking on the driveway, I decided to open one of the garage doors to put my Mazda inside to let dad have room for his car, closing the door after I parked my vehicle. I turned my car off and got out of it, opening the trunk to get the groceries I purchased. After grabbing the groceries, I made my way to the door and opened it, ending up in the kitchen.

Y/N: Mom, I'm back!

Y/N's Mom: Okay, sweetie! Can you please put the groceries away?

Y/N: Okay!

Just as I was about to put away the groceries, the terrible headache from earlier continued to bother me. I began to take out the groceries from the bags, and before I put everything away, I went to the medicine cabinet in the kitchen to grab some Tylenol. After taking out two pills from the container, I grabbed a glass cup and used the kitchen sink to fill the cup with water. I put both pills in my mouth at once and drank the water, placing the cup on the kitchen island. Hopefully, the Tylenol should help with my headache soon.

Y/N: (Why is my head flooded with so many names?)

I sat on one of the seats near the kitchen island and thought for a second. I looked at the Ring of Monstrosities on my right hand, observing it. Although I still don't know what those monster flashes from earlier were about, I began wondering where I should test the ring's power.

Y/N: (What is a good place to test the Ring of Monstrosities' power?)

I thought a little harder to find a good place to find out if the Ring of Monstrosities work. After a moment, I finally found a place to go to.

Y/N: (China Beach. That's it!)

To me, China Beach was a quiet place to go to. Hopefully, there won't be anyone there. After I have chosen my location, I started to put away the groceries before my mom would remind me about them again. I placed the food in the cabinet, while the dog food rested on the kitchen counter. I didn't want to leave without letting my mom knowing, so I decided to make my way to the living room. While making my way there, I saw Charles walking towards me.

Y/N: Hey, buddy.

I passed the bulldog and continued to walk towards the living room, which the dog began following me. When arriving at the living room, I saw mom still watching the tv. She looked me after she noticed where I was.

Y/N: Hey, mom.

Y/N's Mom: Oh, hey sweetie. Did you need something?

Y/N: Not really. I just wanted to tell you that I'll be leaving again.

Y/N's Mom: Really? I thought you were going to play Monster Hunter when you got back.

Y/N: I think I've changed my mind. After all, you said I needed some fresh air, didn't you?

Y/N's Mom: Well, I did say that earlier. Where are you going?

Y/N: China Beach.

My answer surprised my mom.

Y/N's Mom: (Surprised) You're going over there? The temperature is in the 70's right now. Besides, you don't typically go to places like the beach unless your dad is around.