CHAPTER NINE

WAVE

"Happiest birthday, Tita! You look gorgeous!" nakangiting bati ni Sean kay Mama.

He was wearing a light gray three-piece suit and his hair was neatly combed. He looked so tall and formal, standing beside his parents.

"Thank you, Sean! You look dashing yourself," Mama replied.

Sean reached out to give his gift to her, which she accepted with a huge smile on her face. It was obviously a luxury bag.

Ngumiti ako sa mga magulang ni Sean. "Good evening po, Tita and Tito! It's good to see you here!"

Nagmano ako sa kanila, at humalik sa pisngi ni Tita Ceanna.

"You look lovely, hija! Manang-mana talaga sa'yo si Ylleaze, mare! I wish I had a daughter like you too," ani Tita Ceanna.

Ngumiti lang ako. Tito Steven held her waist, and kissed her temple. I saw how Mama's eyes traced that movement, and a flash of envy showed in her eyes. She was quick to mask it with a smile.

"Of course. Syempre, saan pa ba magmamana iyang si Ylleaze? After all, men had been flocking me when I was young. Well. . .even at this age, there are still men trying to hit on me, but I always show them my wedding ring," she chuckled.

Dad only cleared his throat, but he didn't say a word. Ako naman ay nagkunwari na lang na walang naririnig.

Honestly, this party bored me to death. Mas gugustuhin ko pang umuwi sa Cebu.

Sean also looked bored, his eyes roaming around as if he was looking for something. . .or someone.

"Sino'ng hinahanap mo?" basag ko sa katahimikan naming dalawa.

"Where's Chelsea? She's so excited for this party," he mumbled.

"Didn't she tell you? Hindi na sila tumuloy. I heard they're having a setback," I replied.

The look of surprise on his face told me that he had no idea about it. Akala ko ay alam niya dahil sila ang madalas na magkasama nitong nakaraan.

"She didn't say anything. . ." he said softly.

"Maybe she's still processing it. Just give her time." I smiled.

Sean shrugged his shoulders. Our parents were already talking to other guests. As the night got deeper, my boredom heightened.

"This is really boring," hindi ko naipigilang ibulalas.

Sean chuckled behind me.

"I agree. You know what, why don't we leave the party?" Sean suggested.

Parang pumalakpak ang taing ko sa narinig. We snuck out of the party, but before we could even go far, I heard my Mom say, "They look good together, Ceanna. What do you think? Pag-usapan na ba natin ang future nila?"

I didn't turn my back to see their reaction, but I was so sure my mother was smiling from ear to ear.

"I don't know about that," ani Tita Ceanna. "But, if they like each other, then I'd support them. I would like Ylleaze to be part of my family. I really like her, you know," bakas din ang saya sa tono ng boses niya.

Hinila na ako ni Sean palabas ng hotel.

"I'm sorry about that," paghingi niya ng paumanhin. I only smiled at him. In fact, it was I who should be sorry.

"No, I'm sorry. I know you like someone else, and I do too," nakangising sambit ko.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ni Sean na tila ba gulat na gulat pa siya na may alam ako. I chuckled.