Brooklyn ~34~

[TW: Mentions of abuse and blood.]

"Where was she??" Zachary asked, running over to us. When did we get here? The better question was, where are we? Callan placed me on the couch, crouching beside me and gently touching my face. I looked at him for a moment before looking away, his face still wasn't his.

Zachary looked at me worriedly. His eyes scanned over my body, looking for any injuries. My eyes burned and my chest still felt heavy but at least my heart stopped thumping so aggressively.

"Where am I?" I mumble, my throat burning when I swallow. I sat up and looked around. Zachary sat beside me, his hand combing through my hair.

"You're at our house. Your apartment is being investigated. They believe it wasn't an accident." Zachary says softly, taking my hand in his. My eyes widen, and my breathing picks up again.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Let's not talk about that right now. I bet you're tired, attacks like that one can wear a person out. Let's go take a nap?" Callan asks softly, standing up and holding out his hand. I looked at him carefully, his face seemed to be going back to normal.

"Can I get some water first? Please.." I whisper, my hand tightening in Zachary's. Callan nodded and walked away. I looked over at Zachary. "Who did it?"

"They don't know yet. We're trying to figure it out, okay? I'm just glad you weren't in there." He sighs, kissing my forehead softly. I sigh softly, looking down at my lap. "You should go to sleep. I promise everything will be okay."

"Here you go, drink it all." Callan hands me the glass of water, watching me sip at it. I sit there in silence, the quiet hum of the room and the sounds of our breathing the only thing audible. "Come on, you gotta drink all of it."

"It's too cold. It hurts to drink a lot." I say softly. I thought back on what happened at the clinic. Was he angry at me still? I didn't notice the calls or messages, I really didn't. Was my phone on silent? DND? No. I never have it on either of those unless I'm taking a nap. "Are you mad at me?"

"No, angel. I was worried, that's all. I shouldn't have been so bossy, even though in other situations you would've liked that." He said lightly, offering me a cheeky smile. Damn him, I couldn't even stifle my smile. I let out a yawn, feeling the fatigue hit me like a truck. "Let's go to bed."

I stood and followed him up the stairs after Zachary kissed my head. He led me down a hallway, passing many rooms. He opened a door and let me walk in first. It was nicely decorated despite it being a guest room. I took off my shoes, realizing I walked through his house with them on, I cringed slightly.

He closed the curtains and turned on the lamp on the side table, climbing into the bed and gesturing me over. I didn't think twice about it before crawling in beside him, letting him scoop me up into a hug.

Despite the brief moments when I couldn't make out his face, replacing his features with Joshua's, I still felt safe with him. Safer than I've ever felt.

"I'm sorry. I really am. I heard the news and my first thought was you were in there. And after last time..." He trailed off. I closed my eyes and breathed in his scent. The AC was blasting, making my skin prickle with goosebumps. I was upset with him, yes. But I didn't blame him for the way he reacted. I would've done the same thing too. It also wasn't his fault I had a flashback. Anything triggers them.

At this point, I should keep a score of how many times I'm thrown into one with him around. That day when Joshua approached me, after Callan took me to his office, I had a flashback. That's why I was so tired.

I knew the conversation was going to come up soon. But I didn't expect it to be this soon. It was clear that I had some sort of past. And I'm 100% sure they've noticed the faded cigarette burn scars on my thighs. If they haven't, what a miracle.