Chapter 54

"Alright! Pull it up!" you called out to the shinobi atop the building. He nodded and pulled on the rope. The wood went up and another shinobi pulled it onto the top. You looked behind you as there was a minor earthquake and saw Yamato with his hands on the ground and several houses in front of him. You smiled. He was using his wood style jutsu, and he looked worn out already with only one use.

   "Aiko!" you turned toward the voice and saw Sakura waving you over. 

   You turned back to the shinobi you were helping. "I'll be right back!"

   "Sure thing miss," they answered.

   You walked over to Sakura while retying your hair in a ponytail. "What is it Sakura?"

   "I'd like you to meet someone," Sakura answered and turned toward a boy and and an old man speaking to Naruto. Your expression became one of shock once you saw the boy.

   "Inari..." you murmured.

   He looked over to you and scowled. "Naruto look out she's Aka—"

   Naruto placed a hand over Inari's mouth and held him back as he tried to run at you. "Inari! Calm down! She's a friend!"

   Inari stopped struggling and stared at you with wide eyes. You smiled slightly. "Told you ya little brat."

   Inari moved Naruto's hand away from his mouth. "So you... you are Naruto's friend?"

   You nodded.

   "You two know each other?" Sakura asked.

   "Yeah," you answered. 

   "Since when?" Naruto asked.

   "After the incident with..." your voice lowered to a whisper. "Hidan and Kakuzu. I ran off and, well, I got all the way to the Land of Waves somehow."

   "Oh," Naruto looked confused but didn't say anything about it.

   "Anyway, pleased to see you again Inari," you said.

   He frowned but smiled after that. "Yeah, same here. What are you doing here though? I heard the Aka—"

   "Sh!" Sakura, Naruto, and you all shushed him.

   "Try to keep quiet about this Inari," Naruto whispered.

   "No one knows where she's from," Sakura added.

   Inari nodded rapidly, he looked pretty scared. "O-okay! But Aiko, you know what I mean right?"

   You nodded. "I'm just helping out with the rebuilding is all."

   "Yeah, Aiko's been some great help!" Naruto swung an arm over your shoulder. 

   "Ow!" you bent away from Naruto. 

   "Hey, are you okay?" Naruto asked with a concerned expression as you held your shoulder.

   "Yeah, I'm fine," you answered.

   "You liar," Sakura deadpanned. "Come here," she grabbed your good hand and turned toward the old man. "Please excuse us for a little Mr. Tazuna, we'll be right back."

   The old man nodded. "Sure Sakura. Take your time."

   Sakura thanked him and pulled you behind the timber that would be used to rebuild. "Alright, pull your shirt off."

   "Do you know how wrong that sounded?" you asked but did as you were told and turned your back to Sakura. She gasped and you turned your head back to look at her. "What?"