Chapter 56

You knocked on the door to the infirmary.

   "Come in," Nagato said from the other side. You placed your hand on the knob, took a deep breath, and opened the door. You stepped in and closed the door behind you. Itachi and Deidara weren't in the infirmary any longer, you guessed they had been allowed to return to their rooms.

   You walked over to the bed where Nagato lay. "You wanted to see me, Leader?"

   "Yes," Nagato answered and, though you couldn't see him because of the shadow covering him, you saw he turned toward the bed beside his. You followed his gaze and saw Tendo—Yahiko—lying on the mattress with the blankest up to his neck. The body piercings had been removed along with the facial piercings and there were stitchings as if someone had attempted to stitch up the pierce holes. "I wanted to make some questions."

   "What is it?"

   "Since when do you know Naruto?"

   You remained silent for a little. "I've known him since the incident with Sasori, when they attacked the hideout."

   "Why didn't you attack him?"

   "I... I'm gonna be honest Leader. I became friends with him and others from the Hidden Leaf after they broke into the hideout. I would have told you, but you overreacted when I came back with Sasori. So I had decided not to tell you, I was afraid of how you'd react to it if I told you."

   Nagato nodded. "Have you ever met with Naruto, or any others of the Hidden Leaf, without the Akatsuki knowing?"

   "No. Every time I've met with Naruto or the Leaf shinobi, there's always been one of you guys with me. When I saw them for the first time, Sasori was there and Deidara for part of the time. Second time was with Hidan and Kakuzu, third when Deidara nearly blew himself up—"

   "When he nearly blew himself up?" Nagato interrupted. He turned his head toward you and you felt his piercing gaze on you. "So you lied? You weren't with Konan?"

   You shifted from one foot to another and nodded slowly. "Yes... but it was my fault!" you quickly added. "I'm the one that told Farubaru to use Reverse Summoning in case someone was in trouble! Don't blame Konan please! I'm the one who brought her into that, if you want to punish someone, punish me."

   "I'm not going to punish anyone," Nagato replied. "How many times did you disobey?"

   "More than I care to count," you answered. "Let's see..." The time with Sasori makes one, Hidan and Kakuzu makes two, Asuma wasn't really one but I didn't tell and I helped the enemy so that's three, I ran off after getting grounded that's four, Deidara's near-suicide mission that's five, the time with Itachi makes six, the time Sasori told me to stay put and I went after the six tails' jinchuuriki that's seven, when we were being attacked by Kirai and I didn't listen to Sasori that's nine... "Uh, let's say around ten or more."

   Nagato sighed. "And why don't you ever stop? Why don't you just listen to what you're told?"

   "I try but I can't," you answered. "I've tried to listen but when someone's in danger I just get the impulse of helping them, that's what leads me to disobey. I can't help it. I just have to. I couldn't let the Akatsuki get hurt."

   "What did you do when you were out?"

   "I kept the members out of trouble. Helped Sasori, Hidan, Kakuzu, and Deidara and I brought Itachi back—"

   "Brought him back? From where?"

   You mentally slapped yourself and sighed. "Leader, I haven't been completely honest with you so now I want to tell you."