Chapter Ten: Trauma

"Simone, I need you to keep your eyes open." I tried I really did but everything hurt I couldn't fight it anymore. I could hear people talking but I didn't know what they were saying. I felt myself being lifted. I assume it was onto a gurney. I could feel them looking over my injuries as they worked. I was safe now, I had kept him busy long enough and they found us. I heard the sirens turn on in the ambulance as they took me to the hospital. I pried my eyes open for a second and saw Buck looking down at me with tears in his eyes. I tried to grab his hand but I was too weak I guess he noticed because he took my hand in his. "I'm so sorry Simone. I wasn't able to protect you again."

"Don't do that. It's not your fault." It was so hard to get that sentence out but I knew he needed to hear it. He didn't do anything wrong. Maybe if I had told them that he was here it could've prevented it but ultimately Mike made the decision to attack me and even if I had told everyone he still would've found a way to attack me and try to take me home because that was his goal. In his mind I was his and he would do whatever it took to get me home. I felt myself drifting off again. Before I passed out I could hear the ambulance doors open. Good, I'm at the hospital now I'll be okay.

Buck's POV

As we got back to the fire station I was excited to talk to Simone about Bobby's offer I'm hoping she takes it. I can tell that everyone here likes her and is starting to care about her. Bobby and Athena are looking after her like parents and I'm grateful for that because she never got that from our parents. I can't believe I was so blind for so long.

We could all hear yelling as we started to get out of the truck. Eddie got out first and I could hear him talking but once I saw her I was frozen. Her head was bleeding and you could see the bruises on her face. Her lip was split and it was like when Doug found Maddie all over again. I had failed again.

"Buck you gotta snap out of it. I know it's hard but we gotta get her in the ambulance and to the hospital. Bobby is going to call Athena and she'll meet us at the hospital. We have to call for another ambulance to take him."

"Yeah, yeah sounds good."

"Hey Buck, she's gonna be okay. We found her before she passed out and we're going to get her to the hospital. After the bastard gets treated at the hospital he's going to be behind bars for a long time. She's going to need you and Maddie after this and the rest of us will be here to help."

As Chim walked off to help Hen I tried to process what he said but seeing her on the floor like that I couldn't help but get flashbacks of when Doug almost killed Maddie. Someone's gotta call Maddie and let her know what is going on. As they lifted Simone into the ambulance I walked over in a daze. She was going in and out of consciousness. I sat down and stared at her as Chim continued to work on her. I grabbed her hand when I noticed she was trying to hold mine. "Don't do that. It's not your fault." I watched as she struggled to get the words out. I hadn't even noticed I was crying. I wiped my face as we got to the hospital. "She's in good hands, Buck. She'll be okay. I can call Maddie and let her know to come to the hospital let's go to the waiting room." I nodded as I followed Chimney into the hospital. 

Eddie POV

As we got back to the fire station I was the first out of the truck. And I was not expecting what I saw. Simone was on the ground with that prick yelling at her and hitting her. He was completely unaware of our presence. I could tell Simone was barely conscious but I saw the look of relief on her face as I approached them. He went to hit her again but I grabbed his wrist before he could. "I think you've done enough." I spoke through clenched teeth. I wanted nothing more than to beat this man even worse than he had injured Simone.

"This is none of your business." As he tried to pull out of my grasp I punched him in the face. "It is my business when you show up to my job and hurt someone I care about." I was going to hit him again when I felt Bobby pull me back.

"Eddie, he's not worth it as much as he deserves it if you hit him again you'll go to jail for assault. Then you can't help anyone." I knew he was right but it took every ounce of restraint I had to walk away. I knew Simone would be ok. She had the best paramedics to help her until they got her to the hospital. Bobby began assessing the asshole's injuries after calling for another ambulance to transport him. I know he's going to jail for what he did but I just wish I could get one more hit in. I hate that he did this to her.