Uncle Chew's Music Lesson

Feng was still staying with the family for a few more weeks, and she had been helping Jayn and Jessie with their music practice. Uncle Chew had been teaching them how to play traditional Chinese instruments, and they had been making great progress.

One day, Uncle Chew suggested they make a homemade trumpet using a straw. Jayn and Jessie were excited to try something new, and Feng was happy to help.

With Uncle Chew's guidance, they cut a small hole in the top of a straw and attached a piece of bamboo to create a simple mouthpiece. Then, they took turns blowing into the straw, producing a loud, clear sound.

"Wow!" Jayn exclaimed.

"Yeah I know, very cool, right?" Uncle Chew replied with a smile. "Music is all around us, and we can make it with everyday objects."

Feng nodded in agreement. "I'm so glad I got to be a part of this. You guys are so talented!"

Jessie grinned. "Thanks, Feng! We couldn't have done it without your help."

As they continued to practice and experiment with different sounds, Jessie turned to Jayn and whispered, "Hey, let's make another instrument with Uncle Chew!"

Jayn's eyes lit up and she nodded her head. "What shall we make next?" Jessie pondered.

Uncle Chew smiled. "How about a sheng? It's a traditional Chinese free reed instrument."

Jayn and Jessie nodded eagerly, already excited for their next music adventure.

As they began working on the sheng, Uncle Chew told them about its rich history and cultural significance in Chinese music. Jayn and Jessie listened intently, fascinated by the stories and legends behind the instrument.

With Uncle Chew's guidance, they carefully crafted the sheng's reeds and pipes, learning about the different materials and techniques used in traditional Chinese instrument-making.

Feng, who had been watching with interest, couldn't resist joining in. "Can I try making a pipe too?" she asked.

Uncle Chew smiled. "Of course, Feng! The more, the merrier!"

Together, the four of them worked on the sheng, their hands moving in harmony as they shaped and assembled the instrument.

As they worked, they chatted and laughed, enjoying each other's company and the joy of creating something beautiful together.