Back Home

As the summer drew to a close, Jessie and Jayn knew they would have to return to their own home. Jessie was starting primary school, and their parents wanted them to settle back into their routine. Jayn, who was only 4, was too young for school and would stay at home with their baby brother, Danny, who was 1.

At first, Jessie was excited to start school. She loved learning new things and making new friends. But as the days went by, Jayn began to feel neglected at home. Their parents were always busy taking care of Danny, and Jayn felt like she was invisible.

She would quietly play with her toys, trying to occupy herself, but her parents barely noticed her. They were too exhausted from taking care of Danny to pay attention to Jayn's needs.

On weekends, Jessie and Jayn would visit Aunt Choo and Uncle Chew, just like Feng. They would spend hours playing with their cousins, laughing and having fun. But as soon as they returned home, Jayn would feel the neglect again. She would try to get her parents' attention, but they were always busy with Danny.

Jayn didn't demand attention like she used to. She had learned that it was pointless, and it only made her parents angry. So she quietly played alone, feeling like a ghost in her own home.

As the weeks went by, Jayn's behavior became more and more withdrawn. She stopped playing with her toys, stopped laughing, and stopped smiling. She just existed, a small, quiet presence in the corner of the room.

Aunt Choo and Uncle Chew noticed the change in Jayn when they saw her on weekends. She was no longer the happy, smiling girl they knew. She was quiet and withdrawn, her eyes sunken and her skin pale.

"Jessie, how's Jayn doing?" Aunt Choo would ask, concern etched on her face.

"She's fine, Aunt Choo," Jessie would reply, shrugging. "Just a bit quiet, that's all."

But Aunt Choo knew better. She could see the neglect in Jayn's eyes, the isolation and loneliness. But she didn't interfere, knowing that Jayn's parents were doing the best they could.

And so, Jayn continued to suffer in silence, feeling unloved and unwanted. She was a child lost in a world of neglect and isolation, and no one seemed to care.