Chapter 5.

Densus 88 was an investigative arm of the INP, the civilian manned body responsible for counterterrorism. Inspector Tono was interviewing a known member of Jemaah Islamayah. "Your associate Bima was spotted in Hawaii. What can you tell me about that?" Tono had a calm demeanour but beneath the exterior he was like a bloodhound with a bone and he would never let up in his determination to oust terrorists that brought havoc not just to Indonesian shores but to everywhere in the free world.
The man was sullen. "I know nothing of that, suh." His name was Jawa and like some of his compatriots he hailed from the Javanese area of Indonesia. He just had the one name and Jawa was it.
The Inspector was having none of it. "Come on Jawa, out with it. Do you fancy a one-way trip to the island? That's the penalty for aiding and abetting terrorism."
A shiver ran through the lanky man's frame. Cold fear. He knew it was no empty threat."
Nusakambangan was truly a place to be feared. Very few who ventured there as a prisoner ever returned on their own two feet. Many were drug pushers facing the ultimate sanction for their folly. Leaders from his group had been executed back in 2008 for their roles in the 2002 Bali bombings.
Densus 88 had been initiated in 2003 after the Bali bombings. Tono had been there from the start.