Second Wish

A rapping sound startled, Taehyung awake. He was slumped against the sofa, eyes red and puffy from crying. He rubbed them wearily, trying to clear his vision. Another insistent knock echoed in the silent apartment. Glancing at the wall clock, he saw it was eight o'clock – night had already begun. How long had he been asleep? Yet another knock shattered the stillness.

Who could it be at this hour? With a heavy heart, Taehyung dragged himself towards the door and slowly opened it. His eyes widened in surprise. It was Jungkook.

"Jungkook? Wh-what? I told you..." His voice cracked, exhaustion evident from the tears he'd shed. "I'm not really feeling well. Please go home."

Jungkook's brow furrowed with concern. "What happened? Why are you crying? Is it your grandma? Is she okay?" He rushed forward, his hands instinctively reaching out to grip Taehyung's arms.

Taehyung shook his head, avoiding Jungkook's gaze. "No, it's not that... I just... have a headache," he lied. "Please, I just want to be alone."

"Don't lie to me," Jungkook countered firmly. Ignoring Taehyung's protests, he gently pushed him back inside and guided him to the sofa. Taehyung opened his mouth to speak, but Jungkook cut him off. He pulled a napkin from his pocket and used it to wipe away the tears clinging to Taehyung's cheeks.

"Tell me what's wrong," Jungkook said, his voice gentle. "Don't lie to me. Now."

Taehyung turned his head away, unable to meet Jungkook's gaze. "It's nothing, Jungkook. Why do you always have to force things?"

Jungkook's hand, hovering by Taehyung's cheek, stilled. He sighed, a soft chuckle escaping his lips. "Look, I know I might be crossing a line here, but... like I said before, I don't want you to feel alone. I was an asshole before, and maybe I still am, this annoying pest who keeps bugging you."

Taehyung finally looked up, his eyes locking with Jungkook's. A fresh wave of tears welled up, spilling over and trailing down his cheeks. Most of his life, Taehyung had been alone, his grandma the only constant in his solitary world. He carried the weight of pain, worry, and loneliness on his shoulders, a burden he often hid from his grandma, fearing it would only add to her worries. A silent wish, a yearning for a shoulder to cry on, had echoed in his heart for so long. As Jungkook gently wiped away a tear, Taehyung flinched, surprised by the unexpected touch. Yet, a flicker of something, a fragile hope, ignited within him.

"It's... I have to leave this house in two days," Taehyung choked out, his voice thick with emotion. "I don't know what I did wrong... I always..." He broke down again, tears streaming down his face.

Jungkook didn't hesitate. He pulled Taehyung close, offering him the comfort of his shoulder. "Shh, it's okay," he murmured soothingly, patting Taehyung's back gently. "I'm here. Everything will be alright, yeah? Don't cry."

The unexpected warmth, the gentle words, were a balm to Taehyung's soul. He clung to Jungkook, finding a sliver of solace in the darkness that surrounded him.

After a while, exhausted from crying, Taehyung drifted off to sleep. He was vaguely aware of Jungkook shifting, feeling a soft push as he was gently maneuvered into a more comfortable position against the sofa back. A soft groan escaped his lips as he stirred. He felt Jungkook's deep gaze on him, then a cold hand brushed against his cheek, tickling him ever so slightly. He wanted to open his eyes, but his eyelids felt heavy with fatigue.

Moments later, he heard Jungkook rise from the sofa. The sound of footsteps faded as Jungkook moved around the apartment, stopping and starting again. Then came the clinking of pots and spoons, followed by the sound of running water. Time seemed to lose its meaning as Taehyung drifted back to sleep.