9. The widow's secret

˚☆⋆。˚ ✩⧗⧗⧗˚✩ ⋆。☆˚

Natashas POV:

,,I think she's our widow"

The redheaded woman looked up at Steve, meeting his baby blue eyes. She had such a certainty in her voice that he didn't even want to question it.

Still, there wasn't any real evidence and the only way they could get that evidence was if they worked together.

,,What do you mean?"

He asked, following Natasha out of the room. She'd begun walking fast, knocking on every room in the hallway.

,,JARVIS, tell everyone I need them in the conference room"

Nat asked of the AI, now walking towards the elevator. Up until now, she'd completely ignored Steve's question. The pair stepped into the small enclosed space, staring at the door.

,,Well, all the signs match, Popcorn could seriously be our widow"

She readdressed her lover's question, now facing him. Before he could respond, the elevator binged, letting them know they'd reached their destination.

5 minutes later, the team had settled into the conference room, looking at the big screen that was connected with Natashas phone, showing parts of the conversation between her and Popcorn.

,,See that's what I mean. The sass, the reoccurring nightmares that come with being out of the red room, the weird questions. This girl could be our widow"

The redhead listed, scrolling further down while looking around the room.

,,But we can't act on only a few text conversations, Romanoff. We need some sort of physical prove like ... something containing a little bit of DNA"

Tony threw in, pacing in front of them as he shot Bruce a look. The two of them had been working on a prototype of sorts, making it possible to find out nearly  everything about a person, as long as there was something to identify them with.

,,Even a piece of clothing or a hair or something would do, but it's highly unlikely that we'll get that"

The doctor added with a sigh. Nat felt around in her pockets. She'd just remembered she picked something up after the stand off with the widow a few days prior.

After a couple moments, she found it.

,,Would this do?"

She asked, holding up a golden stud earring with a small clear center stone. Bruce took it out of her hand, examining it closely.

,,I don't know, but we can try"

He mumbled, still looking at the golden piece of jewelry. Since the technology they'd been working on hadn't been tested that thoroughly, placing the earrings under the construction was a gamble.

They didn't know whether or not it was 100% accurate or good enough to even pick up on the DNA on the stud, but if they wanted to find their widow, they had to try.

The team gathered around the construction, watching closely as Banner placed the earring onto a square metal plate. He closed it up and took a step back, before pressing a button.

Natasha held her breath as the golden piece of jewelry was scanned by holographic waves, unconsciously grasping Steve's hand and squeezing it. He squeezed back, offering her a small smile, before the machine gave a beep and a file-like hologram popped up.

A picture of a brownhaired girl with eyes almost as emerald as Natasha's popped up as the information began listing itself.

The file contained information like her name, age, basic information on her appearance, familial info ... and her current phone number. Nat skimmed the numbers, only to confirm that it was infact the same number as Popcorn's.

A general silence fell over the room, everyone almost captivated by the fact that it had worked.

,,This is it, that's our girl with the magic thingy"

Tony finally broke it, falling back into his chair, a mix of astonishment and pride lingering on his face.

,,And she has a name. Saylor Lee Grey"

Nat added, still in shock. The girl she'd been texting for almost 2 weeks now, the girl she'd grown fond of was the one she'd been going after all this time...

˚☆⋆。˚ ✩⧗⧗⧗˚✩ ⋆。☆˚

A/n: ha gotcha, this isn't the end yet lol

˚☆⋆。˚ ✩⧗⧗⧗˚✩ ⋆。☆˚

That evening, Nat couldn't sleep. She didn't even know why, but something told her that there was more behind that Saylor girl than they were thinking.

Something told her that she needed help desperately but was too afraid to ask. She knew the feeling all too well, when she thought back on how mistrusting she'd been towards SHIELD when Clint first told her about it.

The red room changes people, she'd experienced it herself. But she didn't have powers...

Saylor did.

Natasha knew how cruel the red room was towards all the girls there and not one of them had powers like Saylors. They were merciless, cruel and sadistic, not to mention the endless controlling and tireless training.

She didn't even want to imagine what they did to the poor girl additionally to that. The redhead sat up, running her fingers through her hair, staring off into nothingness.

There was something that made her want to go to great lengths to help the 16 year old, almost like an instinct that was triggered the moment Saylor first stumbled into her life.

For the first time in a long time, Natasha Romanoff didn't know what to do.

˚☆⋆。˚ ✩⧗⧗⧗˚✩ ⋆。☆˚

A/N: This is the end of the chapter now :)

After FoxXFlamethrower kindly asked me for information on the next parts, here you go Katha, a new chapter for you and everyone else :D
Anyways, it's Tashas POV again and kinda a filler chapter, kinda not tho bc the avengers first get to know about the widow's real identity :)

Lmk how you liked it, have a great day/night, hope you enjoyed and stay amazing, beautiful people. I'll see you around <33

(ALSO WE HAVE A TRAILER, xX_Meiflower_Xx made it, it's linked in the very first part and on my profile, go check it out, she did an AMAZING job <3)