Chapter 5.5 - A Battle Between Brothers

It's the weekend now and nothing notable happened after the Safari Zone, instead it was just normal classes. Today my plan is to set up training matches between my Pokemon. I want them to grow stronger and to bond with each other and me more.

As I entered the elevator I was met with a familiar face. Ichinose Honami, while I hadn't seen her since yesterday we did have plans this weekend to spend time with her and her friends at the mall, she asked if I wanted to invite my own friends to join. Unfortunately I have no friends to invite.

"Good morning, Ayanokouji!" Ichinose cheerfully greeted.

"Good morning." I answered

"What are you doing out this early?" She asked, it was rather early especially for the weekend, still 6 AM isn't that early for me but it would be for other people.

"Just wanted to get some training done. Why are you out this early?" I questioned.

"I was just going to go on a walk! Would it be alright if I watched you train?" She wanted to watch us train.

"Yes, but can I ask why?" I wondered why she would want to

"I believe there is a lot I could learn from you!" She confidently declared.

"If you insist. Froakie, Charmander, come out and say hello." I said as I tossed their Pokeballs.

"Char! Char!" Charmander greeted Ichinose

"Kie!" Froakie also said hello but he jumped on my shoulder, Charmander prefers to stay on the ground. Unless its on my back while I'm doing push-ups.

"Hi you two!" Ichinose greeted, for some reason Charmander has taken a liking to Ichinose and Ichinose finds Charmander and Froakie adorable.

"Ding"

Arriving at the battle grounds, Ichinose sat on a bench near us to view the match.

"Charmander, Froakie, you two will be battling today, I will call out commands occasionally but for the most part it will be you two battling. I want to see what moves you're most comfortable with and see your adaptability." I told them, the thought of battling each other sparked a flame in their eyes, which is kind of ironic.

These two have a confusing relationship, on one hand, whenever there was an argument between my four Pokemon they would back each other up, but they also seem to have an innate need to be better than the other. I guess that need can truly push them to be the best they can. I let out Drilbur and Pidgey out of their Pokeballs.

"You two need to watch and learn from them, you'll be battling tomorrow."

"Pid! Pid!" (What sound does pidgey make??

"Bur!" Drilbur declared.

Pidgey sat on my shoulder to watch while Drilbur just sat on the ground.

"Charmander, attack first with Dragons Breath, Froakie try to stop him by using Quick Attack!" I called out.

It seems that I vastly underestimated Froakies speed, I was assuming Froakie would get to Charmander just before he could let out Dragons Breath, but before Charmander could even get close enough to try, Froakie already landed the Quick Attack.

"Charmander, Froakie, this match is up to you two now, I will not be calling out anymore attacks." I told them

Charmander wanted to get revenge from the Quick Attack and used Smokescreen to create a cover. He navigated this Smokescreen perfectly and landed a Bite on Froakie, who couldn't pin point where Charmander was.

Both Pokemon have taken minor damage, Froakie however, has Water Gun, which the last time they fought fainted Charmander in one hit, although Charmander was weakened from Drilburs critical Mud Slap. If I had to guess, I would say Froakie would win yet again, his skill and creativity with his bubbles allows for him to not only blind his opponent temporarily but to also slow them down or keep them in place.

Charmander is very intelligent, almost to a surprising point. Most would assume other wise but in the short amount of time I've been Charmanders trainer he has surprised me again and again with his intelligence in battle. He follows commands perfectly and without commands he barely makes any mistakes. If he can catch Froakie off guard he may very well be able to win this.

Both Pokemon charged at eachother Froakie using Quick Attack and Charmader just running at him. However right when Froakie landed Quick Attack Charmander stood his ground and used Bite. Bite did more damage than the Quick Attack, right now Charmander has the slight edge.

Froakie knew he was at a disadvantage now and used Pound on the ground kicking up dirt, essentially a make shift Smokescreen. Froakie used Water Gun on the ground turning it to mud and attempting to slow down Charmander. Charmander shot out Ember into the air clearing out the dirt and making Froakie visible again, however, it appears Froakie was waiting for this. Froakie jumped into the air sending bubbles at Charmanders feet and head attempting to blind him and keep him in place.

Charmander instinctively fired off a Dragons Breath hoping to hit Froakie while he was still in the air. At the same time Froakie used Water Gun, the two attacks narrowly missed eachother and connected with their targets.

"Flash"

Charmander got quite lucky, both Pokemon fainted but if his Dragons Breath wasn't a critical then Froakie would've survived. I returned them both to their Pokeballs.

"You both did well." I said.

"That was amazing! You sure do have some special Pokemon!" Ichinose yelled out

Yea, I guess I do.

AN

Word Count: 890

Do you guys have any advice on battle scenes? I feel as though they're getting repetitive.

Next chapter will be swimming lessons, including the normal races should I do a battle tournament for the owners of Water Pokemon? The only battles I would write out would be notable ones.

Would anybody be interested in helping me make a better cover for the story?