Chapter 2

Amber ran towards her porch and threw herself over the man standing there. Her worries were soon replaced with happiness. She gave him the clumsiest hug.

Uncle John Gracia, her father's brother. He is in his mid-twenties and looks very mysterious. He works on Rea's farm and lives on the New England road. He is more like a friend to her than an uncle.

'When did u come Uncle John?' Amber asked fixing her dress after a very clumsy hug. 'an hour ago, and I'm going to stay for the weekend' John said, opening the main door so he could go inside. Amber said following her uncle into the house 'That sounds fun, we should probably go somewhere, bored staying at home'.

The smell of lobster entered her nostrils as she removed her shoes. Her father might have bought it from the lobster house as his brother came for dinner. 'I'll be back soon, just going to keep my bag in my room.' Amber rushed to her room. She on the light, making it come to life again. 'ah' Amber shrieked. 'What the heck Ayden? What are you doing in my room, that also in the dark?'

'Nothing, just searching my watch, you know it glows in the dark. Much easier to find.' He switched off the light and resumed his searching. 'Would be even easier if you kept your room clean like mine'

Ayden Gracia, Amber's older brother. A month ago he too found a job in the fire station. He loses his stuff more frequently than any other person. She's going to miss him as he is soon going to shift with her uncle John.

'Dinners ready!' they heard their mom's voice from the kitchen. They both went down making loud thumps against the stairs.

Amber found her dad and uncle in a very deep conversation. They stopped talking as soon as she took a seat beside her uncle.

'So Ayden, ready to come with me after the weekend?' said John as he took a mouthful of pasta. 'umm, I don't know, no I guess.'

'Wait no, you aren't going this soon, are you? You said you'll shift after a few months.' Said amber.

'I still haven't packed my stuff yet, so can I shift after a month? And yes! I'm not ready yet.' Ayden gave his answer, ignoring Amber. 'it's fine Ayden, no one here wants you to shift soon except your uncle.' his mom said placing her hand over his shoulders. Ayden gave a small smile to his mom.

Everyone ate in silence. Ayden was the first to complete his food and went up to his room.

The question that bothered Amber on her walk back home came back to her mind. She turned to her father and asked 'Dad I have a question.' 'shoot it.' Said her dad looking at her normally.

'It's been a week since Emily Anderson went missing and why is the whole town acting as if nothing happened? What are you going to do about it?'

A loud clanking sound ricocheted through the floor. Uncle John's fork might have slipped from his hand. He bent down to pick it up.

'Ah, john! Amber go and grab another fork from the kitchen for your uncle.' Amber did as her mom said. She handed the fork to her uncle. He stretched out his hand to take the fork while he wiped his face with his other hand. Amber wondered why he was sweating in cold weather.