Chapter Four: Baby News

4 September 2014

The Duke and Duchess of Avondale are pleased to announce that the Duchess of Avondale is expecting their first child. 

Her Majesty The Queen and members of both families are delighted with the news. 

Household of the Duke and Duchess of Avondale

- - - 

"How are you feeling right now?" looking at her granddaughter-in-law, Queen Elizabeth asked, stating that the family had been thrilled to hear of her pregnancy.

After Peter's daughters, William and Kate's son, and Zara's daughter, Albert and Elena's baby would be her fifth great-grandchild; it was always a joy to welcome a new family member.

2014 also saw claims that Albert's baby wouldn't be the only one welcomed into the family the following year, though he hadn't heard any verification of the claims' accuracy at that point.

When they were ready, Catherine and William would let them know. Catherine had not had an easy first pregnancy, and there wasn't much hope that she wouldn't have more struggles.

"I've been okay, the morning sickness has eased up slightly and the doctor says everything looks good with my results," Elena smile in response. She was relieved that her morning sickness wasn't as severe as Catherine's, which is a terrible experience.

The baby, who was the size of a whole apple at this point and was heading into her 15th week of her pregnancy, should be able to hear them by the end of the week, according to the doctor.

Albert and Elena had every right to be excited about this pregnancy; they enjoyed learning every possible detail about their baby's growth. It was all extremely thrilling.

Since she revealed to him that she was pregnant, Albert has been nothing short of amazing; he avidly attends all of their appointments, wanting to make the most of every second.

Queen Elizabeth said, "Everyone seems to be delighted about all of this," aware that the entire family was happy for Elena and Albert.

Considering that Albert was probably everyone's favorite, it was really not surprising that everyone was thrilled for the couple.

The Queen was happy that Albert found his one true love just like William had done with Catherine; the Avondales marriage was a strong union, and Queen Elizabeth was thankful for that. 

"I suppose you have any inkling what you are going to be having?" Queen Elizabeth questioned, being aware that William and Catherine had chosen to keep their baby's gender a secret and not find out.

It was not something she was especially familiar with; when she had been pregnant, the gender of the unborn child could not be discovered until they were born due to the lack of modern technology.

"No, we don't want to know until we meet them," Elena said to her grandmother-in-law. It was better if they remain in the dark as it meant they would have something to keep for themselves and it would be interesting to wonder what they would be having.

Baby Avondale had been the subject of a lot of conversation since the announcement was released that morning, since the child was being referred to in the media as a symbol of the couple's royal title.

Everyone was curious as to whether the child would be referred to as the child of a Duke or a Prince or Princess, and there was a lot of debate on how the child would be addressed in comparison to the son of William and Kate.

With an infectious smile on her face, Queen Elizabeth expressed her excitement for the result that would make Albert and Elena happy, as she believed that becoming first-time parents was an amazing experience.

"How is your mom's doing?" Queen Elizabeth inquired, referring to Elena's mother who was currently facing breast cancer, "I hear that the treatment she received has left her rather tired as of late."

"The doctors are awaiting her test results to decide if she needs more treatments." With a sigh, Elena expressed her desire that she could do more for her mother.

Elena and her siblings, were doing all they could to help their mother, but all their mother wanted for her children was to continue living their lives as if nothing changed around them. She didn't want her to children to worry about her. 

Mr. and Mrs. Mendez were looking forward to becoming grandparents again, they both had their guesses on what gender Elena and Albert's baby would be, Mr. Mendez guessing that his daughter's first baby would bring another grandson into the family, but Mrs. Mendez was sure that their second grandchild would be a little girl. 

"I am sure your parents' are most delighted for the arrival of their second grandchild, you are to give due sometime in February if i remember correctly?" Sipping her tea, Queen Elizabeth stated she could not recall if the doctors were right and if the baby was due at the end of the month.

"Yes Granny, my parent's are delighted to have a new addition to the family. And yes, I am due sometime in February." 

It was a beautiful thought, and it was undeniable that having a child was a blessing that both families would look forward to.

"Have you and Albert given some thought on what you will name the child?" Queen Elizabeth inquired inquisitively, certain that Albert and Elena would find many names to choose from.

Since it was quite unlikely that they would inherit the throne, they were under less pressure to name their child something that would suit a King or Queen in the future.

The infant Elena was carrying would be displaced every time their father's brother had another kid, currently placing it sixth in the line of succession.

Should speculation of Catherine's pregnancy come to pass, it would merely take a few months for baby Avondale to fall behind in the line of succession.

"We have some names that we love, but we aren't quite sure until we meet the baby." Elena said with a smile, they were still undecided on the name of their baby as they had so many names that they loved.

The Queen nodded her head, she knew that no matter what Albert and Elena named their child and their future children they would always be loved members of the British Royal Family, no matter what.