Chapter 3

Virat watched his mother. He had been instructed by her to prepare a few dishes and clean the house as well. He was done with his chores and now watched her as she hopped from corner to corner of the house. How was she so happy, Virat thought? 

She really looked forward to his alliance, and that made young Virat afraid. He did not trust his mother anymore. He feared her. And whenever she got so happy, Virat wondered what kind of storm was about to enter his life. It never had ended well for him, he wouldn't start hoping for miracles now. 

Did she plan on making his life more hell by marrying him to any random somebody? Was that her intention? Virat shuddered at his thoughts.

"Virat! Don't stay standing there! Go to your room and get dressed nicely. Go, shoo!" His mother ordered him suddenly.

Virat nodded quickly in a yes.

"Oh, and also Virat?" His mother suddenly said. "Do not come out of the room until Someone calls you. And when they ask about your affirmation, it must be yes. Do you understand me?" 

Virat looked up at her. He was supposed to yes just like that? Virat sighed and nodded once more, and left for his room as Manika had instructed.

xxxxx

Rohit had come back from his office and was now in his car, driving with his mother and sister towards his potential groom's house. He heard his so-called family discuss his marriage and how they expected the other groom to be and other stuff. He still had zero interest in all that. Thus, he simply concentrated on the roads. 

How had he never paid them any attention? The roads were constructed beautifully. Every pothole told a story. Every turn unveiled a different mystery. 

"Rohit, the next house is theirs," suddenly his mother spoke from behind. Rohit nodded and parked the car swiftly in an empty area, near the house.

 Suddenly, Rohit started to feel nervous. His hands felt sweaty. He closed his eyes for a moment to gather his emotions, only to find his 'family' giving him stares. Rohit quickly unbuckled and moved out of the car. Others followed his cue. They went up to the door and rang the bell. 

The door was opened by a smiling lady.

"Namaste, you must be the Sharmas?" She inquired with a smile.

"Namaste, namaste," Ambalika replied too with a smile. "You're Mrs. Verma?" 

"Arre yes, Mrs. Sharma! Come inside, please think of this as your own home! Come, come, children. Come, Rohit." Manika invited them seeing them hesitate. 

First Ambalika went, Anila and Rohit followed her with a smirk and a sigh respectively.

"Thanda, garam, kya lenge aap log?" Manika asked.

"Ji, kuch nhi. Bas ek damad lenge hum," Ambalika answered making the ladies holler with laughter.

"Ji, abhi bulwati hun," Manika said and ordered one of the staff to bring Virat down. 

Virat came down taking one step at a time. He kept his face down the whole way from his room to where the guests were. He felt not only nervous but also afraid. Afraid of what his future held for him. 

'Calm down, Vi, Calm down, Vi, Calm down, Vi,' Virat continuously thought to try and be calm a little. He knew no one else would do that for him.

"Arrey Vi, beta Come fast na! See, everyone is waiting." Manika said loudly. 

Virat finally reached his mother and was harshly pulled to sit beside her.