Chapter 6

Manika offered him a nervous smile. Rohit's intuition screamed suspicion, but he turned his focus back to the wounded boy in his lap.

"Aap first aid laaiye, I'll take him to the room."

Rohit, without any further answer or a glance, lifted Virat in bridal style and walked away purposely towards the stairs.

Manika almost sank to the floor in relief.

The drama, though, wasn't over yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rohit gently laid Virat on the bed and opened his socks while making his body completely comfortable on the bed, as much as he could without increasing his pain.

Manika came into the room and silently handed him the first aid kit. Rohit took it and began his work.

 He poured a little Dettol on the cotton, and whispered to the unconscious body, "This will hurt, Virat. I'm sorry." He then dabbed at his face wounds first to clean the blood and prevent infections. Every time the Dettol touched Virat's body, he felt the burn instead. Rohit then covered the slashes and cuts with the doctor's gauge, applying ointment to the ones which couldn't be covered by them. 

Rohit stopped his actions for a moment and turned around to look at the bored-looking lady.

"Please, go outside the room for some moments," Rohit said to her.

Manika raised her eyebrows. "Me? Why?"

"I'll change his clothes. He won't be able to sleep comfortably in these, you know," Rohit replied patiently.

"So? I'm his mother, don't you remember? Change his clothes or don't how does my presence affect anything? On the contrary, Rohit...you are the outsider. If by anyone, he'd have a problem with you changing his clothes." Manika answered. She was afraid that if Rohit opened the clothes, he'd see the tortures beneath.

Rohit took a deep breath.

"I know Mrs. K--Verma. I'll close my eyes. I'm requesting you, please, just for a few minutes." Rohit stared at the lady in challenge. 

Manika accepted her fate and stepped outside. Instantly, her brain started cooking new lies for what Rohit could potentially see. She knew he didn't trust her last lie.

Inside the room, Rohit looked at Virat sadly. He brought the latter's hand upwards and placed a kiss on it gently.

"Who did this to you, Virat?" Rohit asked no one.

 With another sigh, Rohit got up and brought a fresh change of clothes for the younger boy. He dimmed the lights and shut his eyes.

Rohit started by changing the jeans. He fumbled while finding the button, but soon he did and quickly got it off, changing it with soft pants. 

Next, Rohit took his hands upwards and pulled the blood-soaked t-shirt. He got the ointment and felt for the bruises present on the chest. He quickly but very softly applied it and blew air on them. 

While Rohit pulled over the new shirt over the injured body of Virat, he felt a long scar-like raised skin near his waist. Rohit frowned.

"I'm sorry, Virat. I'm opening my eyes, so sorry," Rohit mumbled and slowly opened his eyes. His eyes quickly went towards the scar and pulled the new shirt a little upward to expose it.

Rohit gasped loudly. He gently ran his fingers across the scar, which looked quite old. It started at the bottom of the waist, till Virat's right nipple. Rohit became angry. He saw many other cuts and bruises literally littering the young boy's body.