Chapter 9

The Sharma and Kohli families sat together for lunch a few weeks later. 

Rohit sat silently, observing the chattering ladies and Virat being busy in the kitchen. He watched how no one was bothered to help the young boy. Rohit wanted to help, but every time he tried to get up, the older ladies somehow stopped him. 

Rohit didn't even know the basics of cooking, being thrown into business at an early age, but he still wanted to help Virat, and when he couldn't, he felt frustrated. He constantly stared at Virat, moving around the kitchen, waiting for him to come. 

"Uh...I'm thirsty. I'll just go and come back from the kitchen," Rohit said after a while. Anila, busy on her phone, raised one of her eyebrows and looked at Rohit's glass full of water. 

"Arre beta saamne hai toh! Peeyo beta," Manika told him.

Rohit cursed himself mentally. He picked up the glass and suddenly lost its grip.

SMASH! 

The glass dropped to the ground with a loud noise and smashed into pieces. Rohit stared at his hands, horrified.

"I..I--I'm sorry Mrs. Verma..I'll...I don't know how...I'll clean this up..I--" Rohit stammered.

The ladies, in shock, recovered quickly, seeing Rohit stammering.

"Arre koi nahi beta, it happens," Manika smiled at him. "VIRAT! COME HERE AND CLEAN THIS MESS UP!" 

Virat ran out of the kitchen and saw the glass pieces scattered on the floor. His eyes widened and looked up to see a shocked and guilty Rohit still staring at the ground. Virat smiled.

Virat shifted closer to Rohit and kept his hands on his in reassurance. Rohit came out of his shock at Virat's touch and looked guiltily at the younger boy, still smiling up at him.

Virat squeezed Rohit's hands and bent down to pick up the glass shards. Rohit immediately sat himself beside Virat when they got interrupted by Ambalika.

"Rohit, don't do that, beta. Virat will."

"Haan Rohit beta, you don't have to worry or pick up the shards. Virat can do it, you might get hurt, beta," Manika supported.

Rohit looked at Virat, and Virat blinked his eyes in affirmation. Rohit closed his eyes.

"Mom, Mrs. Verma, I broke the glass. I'm able enough to pick it up. Virat, please, leave it," Rohit softly said and held Virat's hand. 

"No Ro, it's fine, aap baitho na please, I'll do it," Virat again smiled at him. Rohit shook his head and began to pick up the broken glass shards. 

"Rohit!" Ambalika shrieked. "You'll get hurt, beta."

"Yes beta please, you might injure yourself, Virat will do it na!" Manika again said.

Rohit looked back at them and threw a dirty look. "Kyu? Virat injury safe hai? What the hell, guys?"

The ladies sat back, embarrassed at the reply, while Rohit turned to a very confused Virat beside him.

"Aap kyu karenge, Rohit, I'll do it na," Virat asked in a low tone. Rohit smiled. He knew the boy wouldn't back down.

"Saath mei karein, Vi?" Virat nodded, and they picked up the glass pieces carefully till all was cleared. Manika got irritated at their closeness.

"Ab yhi khade rahoge ya jaake khana laaoge? Guests hain, bhookha rakhna hai?" She taunted Virat. 

Rohit was ready to defend him when Virat stopped him and went to the kitchen. This time, Rohit followed him. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After having served everyone their food, Virat himself sat down beside Rohit. He focused on his food while everyone chatted amongst themselves. 

"Arre ab to engagement bhi ho gai. When should we get them married, Mrs. Verma?" Ambalika asked, smiling.

Rohit looked at them.

"Arre aap jab kahein, Mrs. Sharma! There are auspicious dates next week and then again after 3 months. How about we get them married next week?" 

Rohit raised his eyebrows. Anila saw that and smirked.

"Arre mom, Aunty, koi bhai se bhi puch lo," she laughed.

Rohit was asked for his opinion when he clearly said no. Virat whipped his head up to look at Rohit. Everyone was shocked.

"No? Why, beta? You don't want to marry Virat anymore? Do you like someone else now? Tell me, beta, we'll arrange it," Ambalika panicked.

Rohit made a disgusted face. Virat sadly looked down.

"What nonsense, mom? You asked about the date and I said no. If you hadn't understood, why are you jumping to conclusions?" he questioned her, annoyed. "I very well want to marry Virat and only him, but we can't next week. We will marry only after all his exams and the graduation is over. End of discussion," he declared. Virat once again looked up at Rohit with wide eyes. Rohit stared at the ladies in a challenge.

"Par beta, his graduation is after two months! Who can wait for so long? And he doesn't even want to give his exams, Rohit, ask him!" Manika questioned.

Rohit tilted his head, seeing her audacity to lie so blatantly. 

"He doesn't?" Rohit asked. "Don't you, Virat?" Rohit turned towards Virat. Virat looked at Manika in fear. Rohit hated how his fiancé's eyes showed fear. He grabbed Virat's hand under the table and held it tightly.

"See Rohit, he doesn't--," Manika began but got cut off by Rohit.

"I don't care if he doesn't want, Mrs. Verma. I want him to get the degree. He's an intelligent boy and I would hate it if my fiancé were to waste his opportunity."

Rohit glared at Manika. Virat looked at their fiery gazes, directed towards each other. He felt scared. Scared he'll lose Rohit if the latter raised his voice for him too much. He decided to make peace.

"Rohit, I don't--" 

"You will finish your degree, Virat, end of discussion," Rohit cut him off, still glaring at Manika.

"Rohit, if the family doesn't want to, how can we force him, beta?" Ambalika asked as tensions rose.

"Well, I'll also be his family in some days, mother. I want my now fiancé and future husband to achieve his dream and complete his graduation," Rohit replied sternly. He looked back at Manika, and Virat felt the older man caress his palms lightly. "I don't care who has to say what." 

Manika gritted her teeth.

"WHAT DID YOU TELL HIM, VIRAT?!" Manika demanded in a loud voice. Virat jumped at the loud voice.

"There's no need for shouting or blaming, Mrs. Verma," Rohit answered calmly. "And Virat didn't tell me anything. He hasn't ever mentioned anything about the graduation, but you did, Aunty. If I'm going to marry Virat, it will happen only and only after he's done with the graduation. No more discussions."

The table fell silent. Manika fumed. Ambalika looked back and forth between the mother-son-in-law duo, fearing a fight. Anila enjoyed the drama. 

Rohit kept his steady gaze on Manika, still holding Virat's hand tightly. And Virat looked at Rohit in awe. He still couldn't believe someone was fighting for him. For his dreams. For his education. Virat felt like crying. He felt blessed. He felt wanted.

Hope you liked this part.

Do comment and like if you liked it.

Really sorry for the short part, I'm not getting any time to update.

u.

(1152 words).