Chapter four: First Flight

TS: Dry Season Begins. BBC EARTH

Carloa got to work, pounding away as he worked on the new tail, holding the parchment up with a satisfied smile. Tucking it under his arm, he returned to Altostratus, who looked on excitedly.
"You aren't helping, Altostratus! Sit still!" Carloa groaned. Altostratus payed no mind, bowling him over in her excitement. "Gah! Stop! Altostratus! Stay still!" He applied the tail, connecting it to a saddle with a strand of rope. "That should do it! Alright, Altostratus!" He was cut off as she went airborne, letting out a screech of delight as they rose above the tree line. "AHHH!" Carloa screamed, hugging his dragons neck tightly, as she sped up. "Slow down! Slow down girl!" He panted, patting his dragons neck as she unfurled her wings, increasing her drag, as they flew backwards, Carloa becoming un-attached. "Oh gods! I knew I should have secured the rope 4 times! Uh–Altostratus?! A little help here?" Said dragon plummeting, spinning. "U–uh–you gotta angle yourself here...No! No! Wrong way!" He ducked as she spun around, her tail mere inches from his nose. Before hitting the water, he got himself back on, pulling up hard, as Altostratus's paws barely skimmed the water. "Wahoo!" Carloa whooped, the pair doing a few victorious loop-da-loops.

. . .

"You're amazing girl! I'll say that!" Carloa exclaimed, tossing a fish to the Storm Fury, who purred in response. The two had landed on the most densely wooded side of the island, in hopes of keeping themselves secret. Altostratus grumbled in response, flopping her head down on his lap.

"I can't let them know...Yet."