Chapter Nine

" Oh my God," Michael said as he leaned more in their king sized bed towards the TV set on the dresser opposite the bed, his eyes almost glued to the screen. He had been watching a soap opera The Rich And The Beautiful  which he had thought would be boring but was oddly not. In fact the switched at birth storyline and the one with the back from the dead priest and the heiress with the sixteen personalities  was actually pretty engaging. Then the show was unfortunately  interrupted with a Breaking News report from the local news station WUSA.

L.L. tapped his way into the bedroom and over to the bed where he sat down. His fingers felt their way over to his husband's hand which he held and squeezed firmly. " What's wrong? "

Michael shook his head. " Someone just shot Senator  Kerri Child's daughter, Prince. Leslie Child. She's only sixteen years old. She's just a kid.  I think she goes to school with Mary. They don't think she'll make it. Oh my God. They're looking for the shooter. They say he's armed and dangerous. They're making it sound like a terror attack or something. " He swallowed. " I know she'll fight me on it but I don't want Mary going to school today. Not until they catch this creep. And we're keeping Jamie home too. This guy is on the run. He's dangerous. He's got a gun. What if he takes a hostage? I don't want you going to work today." 

L.L. heard the panic in Michael's voice. The last thing he wanted was Michael getting himself all worked up over this or Charlie. Or anything. After all he had just gotten out of the hospital. Last thing he needed , any of them needed , was him having another heart attack. The doctor said he needed to control not only his diet but also stress. He lifted Michael's hand to his lips for a gentle kiss. " Don't worry. Please do not worry , Damsel. I'll talk to Mary. She'll stay in today. So will Jamie. And Thomas is still here unfortunately. He's not returning to Boston until tomorrow. I have to go to work and I'll be as careful as I can be. I have US Marshals in my courtroom , don't forget. " He pulled him towards himself for a tight reassuring hug.  " Keep the doors locked. Watch your soap. Relax and rest. It'll be fine. They will catch this man. Probably quick especially with whom the victim is and he'll be tried. " 

Michael sighed and leaned his head against his husband's chest , taking comfort in his presence and his words. " I hope so. When they catch him you think it'll be your case ? "

L.L. shook his head. " I highly doubt that. I am the baby judge remember ? Now I have to go. Rest. And no more news. Promise ? "

" Promise. I love you. Be  careful , Prince. "

" I will. I love you more , Damsel. "