Chapter Twelve

Breaking News

We are here at MPD headquarters awaiting a special news coverage with lead investigator Homicide Detective Rosie Lopez on details in the ongoing investigation of sixteen year old Leslie Childs' tragic murder. Leslie Childs is of course the daughter of the freshman senator Kerri Childs and Secretary of State Franklin Childs. After an intense manhunt we are getting word that the police have made an arrest in the case. The suspect has been identified as Amir Admad , a immigrant from Iran and a reported student of political science at George Washington University. Admad is also a senior at the university and reportedly doing a internship at ironically Senator Childs's DC office. The Senator's office has not released a statement on the shooting or arrest as of yet. The White House and President Walker Brandon has vowed that there will be swift justice done in this case. President Brandon has issued a statement of condolence to the Childs family and all flags in the city are to be lowered as a sign of national mourning. I'm also getting word that the suspect will be arraigned as soon as tomorrow at the courthouse and that the judge of record will be newly appointed to the bench Judge Lincoln Lewis Handel. Judge Handel, as you know, is the first blind judge to ever be appointed to the bench.  Ok , ok , I think the press conference is about to start. I see Detective Lopez approaching the podium along with other law enforcement officials.

Rosie: Thank you for being here. This is a very very sad occasion. Here at the MPD our deepest condolences go out to the family of the young victim. I would like to officially report that we have arrested Amir Admad , a twenty three year old immigrant from Iran and a senior at George Washington University here in the city. He is also a intern for Senator Childs.  I see there is a question. Yes ?

Reporter: Stacy Edwards, Washington Post. Is it true that he will be arraigned tomorrow? Is the judge going to be Judge Handel? Is that truly appropriate seeing that he is blind? Especially with the importance of this case ?

Rosie: The arraignment will be tomorrow at the courthouse. Yes. I will not comment on the matter of Judge Handel. I don't know who will be the judge. I am not commenting on the capabilities of Judge Handel. That's beyond my pay grade. I see there's another question. You there in the front. 

Reporter : Sid Forbes , Washington Reign. Is it true that Iran is not being very cooperative with the investigation ? Is it true that there are allegations of terrorism in this case ? And that there might be more violence to come ? The president is reportedly considering sanctions against Iran. 

Rosie : No comment. 

Michael reclined in bed next to his husband L.L. His brown skinned face looked very worried as he glanced over at his husband who had his sightless eyes closed and almost appeared to be sleeping. But he wasn't. " Prince , the courthouse called you earlier. "

" Yes. "

" They assigned it to you ? Didn't they ? This case ? "

L.L. said without opening his eyes , " Yes. "

" How fucked up is all of this going to be ? "

L.L. opened his milky white blue  eyes and turned his handsome head towards the sound of Michael's voice. He reached out for Michael's hand and lifted it to his lips for a gentle kiss before saying , " Very much fucked up. But do not worry. " 

It was a very good thing that L.L. could not see his husband's face at that moment because the younger man was deeply worried. Michael fell silent and returned to watching the news coverage where a FBI agent was now speaking. His eyes went to his best friend Rosie who looked like a doe caught in the headlights.