Chapter Fifteen

United States Attorney Douglas Alden was an ambitious man who lived for two things for the majority of his forty three years of life.

His job.

And serving the United States of America.

Even his wife of ten years could not come close to completing with what she jokingly and sometimes unjokingly called his " mistresses ". He had often heard Laura say to friends that she would actually prefer having to fight for his attention and interest with a real woman.

( " It's exhausting battling the country for his affection," she had laughed. )

And the country had been attacked recently. Shit, he thought as he entered the elaborate office of the most powerful man in the country. They were still under attack. Iran was denying responsibility but that terrorist group of theirs Hamza was another story. Hamza was making regular videos online threatening America and taking responsibility for the killing of a political child. They were still saying that there was more blood to be shed. The Secret Service, the US Marshals , the MPD , the FBI , the CIA all were receiving Intel on possible other terrorist attacks that could happen in the country. As well as death threats to the children and families of political and government officials. They had to maintain control of all this, he told himself. They had to quickly convict and sentence this young man to show the world that America was not some pussy mother fucker waiting to be taken advantage of. He did not think it would be hard to win this case. Except for one thing.

That damn new judge. L.L. Handel. The man had a reputation for being a hard ass and straight forward honest especially about the US constitution and the rule of law. Which was not a bad thing in a judge. Even a blind judge. But not now. Not with this case.

President Walker Brandon stood up from his large black leather chair behind his enormous desk. He had shed his suit jacket and had his shirt sleeves rolled up to the elbows. His blond hair looked like he had been running his fingers through it carelessly. To say the least the man looked stressed. Which made sense because it was quite possible this case could lead to a nuclear war between America and Iran.

" I'm not sure about this judge , Mr. President, sir. "

Walker shook his head at him. " I am. I have to be. I doubt the man will veer from the company line so to speak. He's an American citizen. I'm certain Handel can be reasoned with. Somehow. "

Douglas was not completely sure about that. In fact he very much doubted it. The best thing for the country would be replacing Handel in this case.

By any means necessary. Before his sense of " fair play" ruined everything.