Chapter Twenty Six

Laney put on her headphones as the flight attendant came over to tell them it was time to get off the plane. He had some nerve to say that to her. She could feel his gaze burning into her soul, begging for a word out of her but she simply had nothing left to say. That was her cherry on top.

She got off the plane first and removed her headphones as she sat in the car that would take them home.. or as he would say, "his damn house". Rather than getting in the backseat, Laney sat in the passenger seat and put her headphones. She put the volume loud enough to the point where she could drown out her thoughts and any conversation occurring in the car.

"I had a life with her first" kept playing in the back of her head, no matter how much she tried to drown it out. Those words were enough to sting and leave a bruise. Minus the music, the car ride home was silent. When they approached the house, Laney got out seeing the sun rising and hitting the house beautifully. It was around 6:30 AM since there was a difference in timezones and since they made a pit stop to see Indy.

Before she could turn to get to the trunk, Morgan had already began to carry all the bags with the driver to the front door, making her follow and take her headphones off in silence. As the three of them trailed into the front of the house, Morgan gave the driver a cash tip and Laney turned to the driver to thank him. After he exited, she shut the door and locked it before looking at the inside of the house she always missed so much.

Taking off her shoes as Morgan had already rushed his way to the bathroom, she went into the closet and changed into an oversized sweatshirt and Morgan's boxers. It was chilly out which meant that Laney had to turn the heat up or bundle in blankets, but she always opted for the blankets. Coughing a little, she made her way to their bar cart for a drink when her eyes spotted a pack of pre-rolls. Morgan always had them for himself and for guests that were over and smoked.

Grabbing a lighter, she sat on the porch and lit the joint. It had been a long time since she had smoked but she would do anything to just numb the wound from their earlier conversation. By the time she was halfway through, she ashed it and proceeded to the kitchen for a snack.

It was a long time since Laney had smoked but she was feeling cozy, warm, and relaxed which was exactly what she wanted. All she wanted to do was eat and fall asleep.
Going into the fridge, she grabbed a jar of pickles from the top shelf and walked to the bedroom while Morgan was in the closet. Based on the fog in the bathroom, she could tell he had showered.

Sitting in the bed, she tucked herself in and opened the jar of pickles. The pungent smell from the dill pickle chips satisfied her craving. Putting on a crime TV show, she began to eat some pickles. This was the life.

Her TV show trance was soon broken by the sound of the door closing and Morgan coming out in sweatpants and a black shirt with his hair wet, sniffing the air walking towards her, "It smells like weed. Do you smell that?".

She tried to stifle a laugh and hold back her smile as she looked up to look at him. He grinned looking at her, "Laney are you high?".

She shook her head, "N-no".

He sat down on the same side of her bed and grabbed her face, "Say that to your blazin eyes and your jar of pickles".

"Hey!" she scolded him as he laughed while placing the pickles on the bedside table.

"Are you still upset? Laney, I'm seriously sorry. I was out of line," he said looking for an answer.

"That's why I got high," she bluntly said having her whole mood changed.