14) You're sleeping with me

************************
MAYA'S POV
************************

Naked, I stood before the wide mirror fitted on the inner side of the closet door. My body had changed in just a few days. How long had it been since Gale brought me here? Two? Three? Four days?
It couldn't certainly be that short! I felt like I had been here for months.

The bruise on the small of my back was yet to fade and my ass still had marks from last night's punishment. Even though my scalp was fine, I could still feel the prickles of pain whenever I remembered them pulling my hair like I was some kind of an annoying pet.

What gave them the right to treat me this way?
My family might have been from a middle class, but they still had some power. I was only tolerating this because Gale was the Arch-Duke of Alabama and could cause problems for my family if he wanted.
As for Lori's family, there were rumors that they became nobles over two decades ago because a girl from their family died serving the Empress. She had been granted the title, Flower Maiden, and would be included in our history.

If only I could get close to the imperial family, maybe, just maybe, I could free myself from these shackles fate had put on me. But with Gale monitoring my every move, I'd be lucky if I got as far as outside the gates.
Why hadn't I thought about this over the last year?
But...how would I even approach such a powerful family? Work as a maid?
Argh! No! I had no household skills.
Become the prince's mistress(since I had no shot at being his wife)?
Fuck no! Why would I stoop so low?

Even though I had prepared for this punishment for an entire year, my chest was still full of fear now that I was here.

I hugged myself and shut my eyes.
"Why was it you that died?" I murmured, a teardrop fleeing from my right eye.

After rummaging through the clothes some maids had pitifully offered me, I found something decent to wear to bed. Even though they were gossiping behind my back, at least they had put up a friendly act as we ate together in the kitchen.
Nothing was real here. And that was a reality I had to accept without any hesitation if I were to survive.

I had to use my enemies to fight other enemies. And if I could dig up dirt about Lori or her daughter, blackmailing them wouldn't be so bad. And that was why I'd play along with the nosy maids until I got something on the mother-daughter duo.

"This should be fine. It's long and plain as hell, but it'll cover me up," I said observing the beige night dress in my hands. There was nothing seductive about it so I was sure Gale would be fine with it.
After slipping it on, I paused to debate whether to put on some panties.

I never slept with them before, always felt strained and damn uncomfortable. Fuck! There was no way I'd sleep in panties.
Besides, he hadn't said that I'd sleep in his room or something, so why was I being this anxious?

"Ack!" I pulled my hair slightly and let go at the slice of pain. "All I have to do is sneak into his bedroom. Not that big of a deal. It's only a door away."

I peered into the hallway for any signs of life. It remained dull as usual and lonely. There wasn't another soul there, at least not living. "All clear!" I breathed before rocketing out of my room and straight for Gale's without looking back or breathing. Be discreet as possible was what he had ordered me before I left the office.

Luckily his door was unlocked.

"Phew!" I let out one long exhale as soon as the door shut behind my back. "I'm safe!" I rejoiced placing a hand above my heart to feel its insane pounding. "Safe for now."
My moods drooped as I walked towards his neat bed.

Now that I was in this room on my own, it looked much bigger and more spacious. He seemed to like the colors gold and slate blue from how well he had blended them in almost every fabric and furniture here.

As my eyes hovered around, they landed on a figurine standing next to the display of expensive watches on Gale's dresser.
Seeing the small version of Aries reminded me of Cindy. She had loved that cat to death. "I wonder what happened to you!"

It was useless wondering. Not like Gale would tell me if I asked.

Time began moving sluggishly as I lay on that big soft bed. I must have been really tired for I didn't realize it when my eyelids gave up. All I felt was myself floating in my dreams and then...
"Wake up dammit!" Someone was speaking. His voice felt familiar and it made my heart tremble.

"Who... who's there?" I mumbled rolling away from the source of that discomforting voice. "Let me slee-"

"I said wake up!" It bellowed, shaking my soul instantly.
Never before had my body jerked up at that moment. It was as if an electric current had just run through me.
My eyes peeled wide open and my lips immediately ran dry like my poor throat.
This was fear. The same fear I had been suppressing for the past year.

"Ga-Ga-Gale?!"
I was looking right into his cold gray eyes. His face was so close to mine that our breaths were literally making love in our presence. He was angry. Why was he angry?
"You're h-here?" I turned my head away to look at the wall clock. It was already ten o'clock. Damn! I had been in his bedroom for an hour now.

"You didn't even lock the door? What if someone walked in here and saw you..." His voice trailed off while his eyes slid down to my legs.
The damned dress must have ridden up while I was asleep. My thighs were in the open like I had planned on seducing the next person who would walk into the room.
I quickly pushed it down and hugged my knees like a scared kid.

"Gawd!" Gale huffed straightening. "Don't make such a stupid mistake again. Now lie down!"

My head shot up. "Huh?!"

I met his scowl. "Have you forgotten? You brought a guest in my office without my permission."

Oh, right! I did that, didn't I? Not intentionally but, not like he would care to understand.
'Relax Maya. It'll hurt a little and you can leave,' I comforted myself as I flipped my body to lie on my tummy. After tucking the dress on the sides of my legs, I pulled the pillow under me closer and pushed my face on it.

A few sounds came from the side of the room, closer to his closet, and then...silence. After half a minute, the mattress sunk on the empty side, alerting me of Gale's presence on the bed.
Without the need to look up, I was aware of what would follow. And hell was I correct.
He didn't say a thing, just started striking my poor ass with his belt.

I bit my teeth and yelped on the pillow to muffle all sounds.
Clinging on to it for dear life, the punishment shifted from the belt to his hand. "Two more for leaving the-" smack, "-door open!"

I could feel my tears soaking the pillow while pain and hatred boiled in my chest. With every spank and strike, I had started to loathe Gale.
"That's it for tonight," he announced, and my body relaxed, preparing myself to crawl out of his bed.

"Where are you going?" Gale demanded crossed.

Had he not punished me enough for the night?
"My room," I whispered filtering my pain.

"You'll sleep here tonight."

"What?!" I lifted my head, forgetting about my ugly tears. "Why should-"

"You live for the sole purpose of obeying me, Maya. Or have you forgotten what you stole from me? Is your memory so foggy?"

More tears flowed down my face as I stared at his ruthless glare.
"Here!" He tossed a small tube of ointment next to my arm. "Take care of your ass while I go shower. When. You're done get under the covers and sleep."

****An early upload cause tomorrow I might be occupied****

Haven And Chaosजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें