Some Friendly Competition

༻❖༺
3k words

"You're home late... again," Hayden spoke with bitterness, not even looking up from his book as you walk into your shared bedroom. This was the third time this week, and he was starting to think the worst. After a minute, he put his book down and looked up at you with a glare that caused a lump in your throat.

"How was work?" He questioned, his arms crossed tightly across his chest.

"It was fine," You said with a shrug, a vague answer that only seemed to annoy Hayden even more. You walked over to your dresser to put away your purse, taking off your earrings and jewelry before beginning your bedtime routine.

Hayden stayed focused on you, watching your movements to see if there was something unusual you were doing.

He couldn't help but grow more irritated and suspicious the more he watched you. The way you were casually putting away your things, like nothing was amiss, only furthered his doubts. He gritted his teeth and stood up, approaching you from behind.

Hayden grabbed your hand, gently turning you around to face him. His eyes bore into yours, searching for any sign of deceit or guilt. His grip on your wrist was firm, almost as if trying to get you to confess something just by his touch.

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you're not unfaithful." He practically growled, his voice laced with barely contained anger. His eyes narrowed expectantly, waiting for your response as he held your arm up in between you.

You felt your breath hitch in your throat at his words, taken aback by the sudden and unexpected accusation. You quickly shake your head and try to tug your wrist out of his grip. "What are you talking about? I'd never cheat on you!"

"You've been coming home late all week!" He snapped, his voice rising slightly as he tightened his grip on your wrist. "I may not know exactly what you're doing, but don't think I'm stupid. I have a hunch that you're seeing someone behind my back."

"That's not true!" You protested vehemently, feeling a mix of frustration and panic creeping up inside you. You hated being accused of something so serious, especially when you had been faithfully married to Hayden for three years.

"Then tell me why you've been coming home late?" He demanded, his eyes never leaving yours as he searched for any hint of deception. His jaw was clenched, and his body was taut with tension. "I need to hear a better explanation than 'work.'"

You felt your heart racing as you struggled to find an answer that would appease him. It was true that you had been working longer hours, but it wasn't due to an affair. It was just the nature of your job. But how could you convince him? You took a deep breath, trying to calm your nerves before speaking.

"I've been taking on extra projects, and it's been keeping me late. I promise, I'm not seeing anyone else, and I would never cheat on you."

Hayden listened to you intently, his eyes still locked onto yours as he scrutinized your words. After a tense silence, he let out a deep sigh and loosened his grip on your wrist, though his expression remained stony.

"I want to believe you," He conceded, though his voice was laced with doubt. "But you've got to understand how this looks from my perspective."

You nodded in agreement, feeling a mixture of relief and frustration. You understood his suspicion, but you couldn't help feeling hurt that he would think so poorly of you.

"I get it, truly." You said quietly, lowering your gaze to the floor as you felt the weight of his doubt hanging over you. "But this is exactly why I haven't been talking about my work lately. There's no point in discussing it all when you already think the worst of me anyway."