Chapter 30: Final Chapter

I stood at Vivian's doorstep, anxiety consuming my body inch by inch. I stopped my tears from terribly spilling down my face.

The thought of losing her was more than I could handle.

I didn't even have to knock, as I stood there. I had a key. I could come and go as freely as I pleased.
Although for some reason, knocking felt appropriate. Like I had to be welcomed in before anything.

So, obviously, I reached to ring the doorbell.

I hated her doorbell.
It was really loud. It would have amplified the dull, aching pain in my scalp.

However, as if straight out of some corny romance movie, the door opened as my fingers only lightly graced the doorbell, not having yet been granted the opportunity to ring it.

Vivian had opened the door, car keys in hand to come and get me at my apartment just as I had come to see her.

We stared at each other for a brief few seconds, shock and reality combining as we realised that we both had one common goal; To be with each other as soon as possible.

Interlinked.

"Avery, Baby." her voice was filled with relief as she pulled me into her arms, hugging me protectively yet gently.
I hugged her back almost immediately, despite being upset with the way that she chose to go about doing things.

"I was about to come and get you. I was going to bring you home." she spoke.

I moved away slightly, gently hitting her chest, "What is this? Explain, I'm not going based off of words on a page. Tell me yourself." I demanded, frowning at her.

Vivian tucked my hair behind my ear, admiring my face even though my frown was practically turning into a glare.
She never missed an opportunity to admire me.

"Sit down with me princess, let me talk you through it."

I looked into her deep, dark eyes and felt the comfort of them seeping into my soul.
Her hands rested on my waist in a way that made me feel calm and reassured that whatever was about to happen next, was going to be good.

When has Vivian ever let me down?

In that moment, I realised the privilege that I had of being able to trust her. The privilege of knowing that whatever happened, we would end up together until the very end.

I sighed as I followed her into the living room.
She held my hand and guided me as if I didn't know where to go, as if her home wasn't practically mine at this point.

The gorgeous woman sat me down and I took the papers out of my bag, sitting them down on the couch in between us.

"Avery, Remember when I told you that I would never date an employee?"
"Yes." I answered hastily.

I was in a difficult position. I wanted to hear what she had to say next, but I also just wanted to get the explanation over and done with so I could kiss all over her face and scold her for scaring me the way that she had.

"Well, That's exactly the case here. If you love me, I can't have you working for me. I also want you to be successful, outside of working for my company." Her fingertip rested on the $700 000 part of the agreement, "I want you to make me proud, and pursue your own business. Even in you, I see a lot of myself."

I looked at the paper then at her.
My heart pounded at her words, and at how so utterly generous she was and how blessed I felt to have her as my woman.

"Thank you." I said, my voice breaking. The tears that I had been holding in earlier had started to swell up in my eyes.

Her hand moved to my face as she gently caressed my cheek. The tension in the air grew thicker. I could tell that she was about to address the most important part of the entire situation.