| Ep 38 |

you guys are NOT ready for this one.

"Ashlyn!"

My voice calls out as I reach my arms out in front of me. I blink a few times, dropping my hands to feel the thick sheets draped over my lap. I rub my eyelids as I pat the pillow behind me and peer around my bedroom.

I throw my head back onto the cold pillow and let out a sigh, happy we survived another night.

I roll over onto my side, reaching for my phone on my nightstand to find the group chat already full of the routinely check-ins. I shoot my usual thumbs up and go about my own personal routine; checking on them all individually.

I shoot everyone a quick text, excluding Tyler since he beat me to it. I tapped on his contact and found,

Morning :)

How u feeling?

Ur shoulder okay? Ik it was bothering u so I wanted to make sure u were alright

I smile at his texts and respond, letting him know I'm fine. Not long after, I move on to Ashlyn, hoping that fall wasn't too serious. All she said was,

not hurt. just got a headache.

Once I know the group is fine, I reluctantly slide out of bed to get ready for school. I pull together a last-minute outfit and hop in the shower. I let out a deep sigh I had been holding in all morning, tilting my head up to allow the warm water to run down my face.

Suddenly, flashes of the phantoms from last night flood my blackened vision and I quickly open my eyes with a gasp, ignoring how the water was burning my eyes. I try to relax, anxiously running a hand over my face,

"God, this sucks..."

- - -

Once I was done getting ready, I stride into the kitchen with my backpack loosely slung over my shoulder. I am met with my mom's back to me, who's in the middle of cooking breakfast. I toss my backpack aside and take a seat at the counter across from her,

"Morning," I announce my presence, my voice coming out raspy.

I watch as she spins around with a spatula in hand, smiling warmly at me, "Hey, kiddo! Sounds like someone had a rough night."

I fight the urge to scoff, instead groaning as I drop my head down, "You have no idea..."

"Honey," Her shift in tone forces me to look up at her, finding her now leaning over the counter worriedly, "You've been having these 'rough nights' for a while now."

"Mom, I already told you. I've just got a lot on my plate from-"

"-from school. Yes, I know," she turns the stove off and sets the spatula down, now prepping my plate, "But, are you sure that's all it is?"

I rest my chin on my palm and nod lazily, putting on my best poker face, "What else would it be?"

She slides my plate to me and I feel it bump my elbow when she answers, "Well...last time you were like this was when you and Tyler were fighting. You couldn't sleep for days. Did something happen between you guys?"

I raise a brow, oddly feeling warm at the mere mention of his name, "W-what? No, we aren't fighting. We're good- really good."

I watch her eyebrows shoot up and I mentally face palm, "Really good, huh?"

"Not like that!" I bury my face to hide the blush forming on my cheeks, "I meant- you know, like-"

"Just eat your food." She laughs and cuts me off, impatient at my attempt to make an obvious excuse to dismiss the topic.