chapter twenty nine: chicago

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
chicago

"Are you alright?" I asked Henrik as he pulled himself out of the car with a groan.

"Yeah, I'm good." He said, stretching his back, "Let's just hope that Elijah's informant was correct about this location because I absolutely refuse to get back into that car!"

"Don't be dramatic, Henrik." Elijah chastised his brother as he exited the car. He looked picture perfect, unlike Henrik and I, who were both grumpy and disheveled. "And yes, it appears that my informant was correct."

He pointed across the mostly empty car park to where the familiar lorry sat. A small smile gradually crept onto my face before I banished it. We still had a major obstacle: Klaus.

"What's the plan?" I asked Elijah, who pursed his lips in thought. His brows furrowed for a moment before his gaze snapped towards the warehouse. "What is it?"

Elijah held a finger to his lips and tilted his head towards the warehouse, seemingly listening for something. After a moment, his eyebrows raised in surprise and a smile tugged at his lips.

"It seems that for whatever reason, Klaus has woken our sister." Elijah said to Henrik, "And she is giving him hell."

Elijah sped towards the warehouse and I moved to follow him but Henrik held a hand out to stop me. "We should probably wait here for a moment. I don't want you to get caught between an angry Klaus and a vengeful Rebekah."

"With all due respect, Henrik, you'd have to physically restrain me to stop me." I warned him.

"I am absolutely fine with that." Henrik responded and I shot him a look, "Okay... But stay close to me at all times!"

"Don't I always?"

I followed Henrik into the building, screwing up my nose at the foul smell. It smelt like death, which was probably due to the dead security guard. I gagged and tried to ignore the dead guy as I stepped in between Elijah and Henrik to take in the scene before us. The room was full of coffins and off to the side stood two figures.

I could only see the woman's back, but I felt my heart tug in my chest as I took in her silky blonde hair and silver dress, which looked to be from the 1920s. My heart pounded as I watched her stand in front of Klaus, who pulled a dagger from his stomach and let it drop to the floor.

"Don't pout, you knew it would kill me." Klaus told his sister.

"No, but I was hoping it would hurt more." Rebekah replied and I barely suppressed a gasp at the sound of her voice. It sent shivers up my spine and despite the cold nature of her words, I felt my heart explode with something akin to love.

She turned away from Klaus and I managed to glimpse her face for the first time from where we lingered in the shadows. She was absolutely beautiful, so much so that it brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to run to her, but logic kicked in and reminded me that doing so would not be the best of ideas.

"I understand that you're upset with me, Rebekah," Klaus said, placing a hand on his sister's shoulder, "So I'm going to let that go, just this once."

Rebekah opened her mouth, presumably to argue with her brother, when her eyes landed on me through a gap in the old metal shelves. She stopped in her tracks, her eyes wide with disbelief. I swallowed nervously and looked to Henrik, who gave me a supportive nod.

I moved out of the shadows and both Rebekah and Klaus gaped at my presence. Elijah and Henrik moved to either side of me, keeping enough of a distance to show that they wouldn't intervene unless absolutely necessary.