chapter thirteen: finding klaus

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
finding klaus

Henrik returned home that evening to a tense atmosphere. Elijah and I sat on opposite sides of the sofa, furiously ignoring each other. Elijah was reading what looked like classic literature whilst I watched the flames dance in the fireplace, my jaw stiff. One look at me and Henrik seemed to understand what had gone down between Elijah and I.

Frowning at his brother, Henrik walked over to me and before I could say anything, he picked me up in a bridal carry. I let out a small squeak of shock before wrapping my arms around his neck and nuzzling my head into his chest as he walked me out of the living room.

I glanced over Henrik's shoulder and saw that Elijah was scowling at his brother's back. Our eyes connected for a moment before Henrik turned the corner and he was out of sight.

Once we reached my room, Henrik gently lay me down on the bed before closing the door and murmuring a spell. At my confusion, Henrik said, "It's a soundproofing spell, Elijah won't be able to hear anything even with his vampire hearing."

"Oh," I said, my cheeks heating.

"For talking," Henrik clarified, "Although I'm not opposed to whatever is going on in your mind right now.

My cheeks grew even hotter and Henrik chuckled as he lay down beside me. I turned onto my side so I could face him and was stuck by how utterly beautiful he was. Of course, I'd always thought he was beautiful, but it was only now that I've let myself appreciate it instead of constantly trying to taper down my feelings for him.

"Do you want to talk about what happened between you and Elijah?" He asked and I sighed, taking a moment to answer.

"It was all going so well!" I began, my heart aching, "We talked and kissed and it was incredible! I even felt comfortable enough to be vulnerable with him. I thought that my life was turning a corner, that everything would be okay and that I would be happy."

"You will be happy, I swear it." Henrik said, cradling my jaw, which was beginning to hurt from how long I'd been grinding my teeth today.

"He wants to kill Klaus." I said in a hushed voice, even though I knew Elijah wouldn't be able to hear. Henrik nodded, having already knew this, "You don't agree with him, do you?"

"Of course not!" Henrik said, almost reeling back with horror, "He's my brother, I don't wish him any harm, but more importantly he's your mate and I would never wish to take him away from you."

"How are we going to stop Elijah then?" I asked.

Henrik sighed, "I don't know, I went to Mystic Falls today partly to learn more about Elijah's plans. When Klaus breaks his curse, he'll be vulnerable and Elijah believes that a powerful witch will be able to kill him. However, the level of power a witch would have to have to achieve this would be astronomical. I know of only three witches who would have this level of power and, thankfully, they are all dead."

"So you think his plan will fail?" I asked hopefully.

Henrik hesitated, "I wouldn't underestimate Elijah. I'm willing to bet that he can archive whatever he puts his mind to with the right motivation."

"So we need to warn Klaus then?" I asked and Henrik tensed.

"There's a reason that Elijah has been so against you meeting Klaus," He began, "When you first lay eyes on your mate, your souls meet for the very first time and even if you don't consummate the bond, the death of your mate would mentally break a part of you."

The pieces began clicking in my mind as he spoke, "Elijah would never allow that to happen to me, which is why he wants to kill Klaus before we get a chance to meet." I grinned when I finally realised what Henrik was getting at, "So, if I were to meet him, Elijah couldn't kill him."