chapter nineteen: the plan

CHAPTER NINETEEN
the plan

"Henrik, please, I know I can help." I argued as we sat together in a corner of the Mystic Grill. In the days following Katherine's visit, we'd both been way too stressed out to cook and had resorted to having our meals in various cafes and restaurants in Mystic Falls.  I'd convinced Henrik to eat at the Mystic Grill tonight, claiming that the food had been amazing when I had visited with Elijah. I suspected that he already knew of my ulterior motive, after all, this was the place the Salvatore's frequented. The brothers in question were yet to make an appearance but it would only be a matter of time.

"It is out of the question, Morgana, I refuse to put you in harm's way." Henrik practically hissed. We'd been arguing all morning about the best method of rescuing Elijah. Henrik had shut down each and every one of my ideas, probably because they all involved me.

"You can't do this alone and I can't see anyone else lining up to help you!" I said, sending him an overly fake smile.

"You're human, Morgana!" Henrik said with mild frustration, "There's nothing you can do."

"That's not true and you know it." I huffed, "Look I'm going to try to rescue Elijah whether you like it or not. We might as well work together to limit the risk."

Henrik was silent and I knew that he knew I was right. He let out an exasperated sigh, "One of these days I'm going to have to chain you up in a basement to keep you from danger."

"Kinky." I chuckled under my breath and Henrik raised an eyebrow at me.

"What was that, Morgana?" He asked in a low voice, a slow grin appearing on his face.

"Nothing." I said immediately, avoiding eye contact as my face flushed red.

"I think you're lying to me, Morgana." He said knowingly as he watched me intently.

I don't know whether or not I was becoming bold or I just wanted to shock him but I replied with, "What are you going to do about it? Punish me?"

"Oh, Morgana, if we weren't in a public place..." He shook his head as he sat back in his chair, avoiding eye contact as he grinned. That was when I noticed the faint red on his cheeks.

"You're blushing!" I accused, pointing at his face gleefully, "I actually made you blush."

Henrik chuckled, rolling his eyes playfully. He leant forward and flicked my nose gently as I grinned at him.

"Are you sure you want to play that card? After all, we both know how easy it is for me to make your face flame bright red."

"Good point!" I grinned, holding my hands up in surrender.

My grin faded when I watched the Salvatore's enter the building. Henrik glanced over his shoulder, following my line of sight. Both acutely aware of their supernatural hearing abilities, we remained silent. I pulled out my phone so I could instead text him.

We should get closer so we can listen to what they're saying. I typed and hit send. Henrik read the message and immediately shook his head and began typing back.

That's too suspicious, Damon knows what we look like. He replied and I pursed my lips, knowing he was right.

I'll go to the bathroom and see if I can overhear anything when I walk past. I wrote and watched his eyes widen in alarm upon reading it. He began to furiously type so I quickly sent him another message. Relax, they won't do anything in a public place.