chapter ten: a welcome change

CHAPTER TEN
a welcome change

A peaceful routine followed for the next few weeks. Every morning I'd wake to the sound of Elijah and Henrik's laughter from the other room. By the time I was up, I'd walk into the kitchen, where my mates would have already prepared a delicious breakfast for me.

After breakfast, Elijah would disappear and Henrik and I would spend the morning walking around the excessive land that surrounded the hotel. We even attempted to teach ourselves to golf and learnt that neither of us were any good. Elijah would join us for lunch, usually at my new favourite tea shop before disappearing once again. I would then spend the afternoon reading whilst Henrik went for a run. I'd then cook dinner and spend the evening watching movies and snuggling with my mates.

Snuggling was as far as it ever went. I hadn't kissed either of them, unless you count Henrik's occasional peck on my forehead, which he'd been doing for years. They were respecting my boundaries and whilst I appreciated it, I was beginning to long for more, whilst also fearing the unknown.

I could tell that things would be different today. The minute I woke up, I just knew that our peaceful new routine was coming to a close.

I awoke to silence, dread in the pit of my stomach and sweat dripping down my forehead. I'd had a nightmare and although I couldn't remember it, the feeling it brought haunted me. I focused on my breathing and eventually managed to rid myself of the nightmare induced adrenaline.

With a deep sigh, I got dressed, entered the living room and was greeted by silence. With a frown, I popped my head into the kitchen to find Henrik sitting at the table, head in hands.

"What is it?" I asked frantically, worried something had happened to Elijah since he wasn't here.

Henrik jolted and looked up at me, having not realised I was here, "Everything is fine, Morgana." He said with a forced smile.

I gave him a nervous smile as I took a seat beside him. I watched him for a moment, trying to read him. Over the many years we'd known each other, I'd gotten good at guessing what bothered him when he felt down, but now that we were immersed in the supernatural world, I had no idea.

"What's wrong?" I asked gently.

He pushed away a strand of hair that had fallen in his face and gave me a lopsided grin, "You need to give me a hair cut."

A few years ago, I worked as a hairdresser for a couple of months to earn some extra cash. Ever since, Henrik always insisted that I cut his hair to save money, but recently I'd wondered if that was the only reason.

"Why don't you get it done by an actual professional?" I asked with a mischievous smile and Henrik pouted.

"And miss a chance to have you pull on my hair? No chance." He said with a cheeky grin and I felt heat rise to my face.

My suspicions were confirmed, saving money wasn't the only reason he liked me cutting his hair.

"Anyway, don't try to change the subject, I can tell something is bothering you. What is it?" I asked, cupping my hands over his.

"Elijah and I just had a brotherly spat, it was bound to happen sooner or later. No need for you to worry though." Henrik said reassuringly.

"What was it about?"

"We were just arguing about a few schematics." He said vaguely with a casual shrug as he stood from the table and walked towards the sitting room. I hastily got out of my chair and followed him.

"You're being intentionally vague! What are you hiding?" I yelled after him. He stopped suddenly and turned at my words, causing me to crash into him. He grabbed my shoulders to keep me steady and kept them there as I looked up at him. His thumb slowly stroked my bare arm, causing goosebumps to erupt on my skin. My breathing became heavy as our gazes locked. "What are you hiding?" I repeated, the words coming out breathier than before.

"You have to understand that we're your mates, Sweetheart. We are fiercely driven to protect you but we will often disagree on how best to achieve that," Henrik said gently, his strokes on my arm continuing as he spoke, "Let's just say that I don't necessarily approve of Elijah's methods of keeping you safe. We'll sort it out though, Morgana."

"Okay." I whispered with a smile and found myself learning into him even more. He froze for a moment, his eyes darkening as his grip on my arms tightened, but not enough to hurt me. Slowly, almost cautiously, I lifted a hand to his face and cupped his jaw. My other hand rested on his chest and I could feel his breathing become uneven. He let out a small groan as he leant his forehead against mine, our mouths only inches apart.

"You're killing me, Sweetheart." He whispered before his mouth crashed into mine. It lasted only a second before he pulled away and ran a hand down his face, looking flustered, "Fuck, I'm so sorry, Mor, I didn't mean to-"

Henrik didn't get to finish his sentence before I grabbed him by his shirt and kissed him. I let out a small whimper as he returned it with desperation and passion. I'd imagined kissing him a million times before, but this was better than even my wildest fantasies. I wrapped my arms around his neck, drawing him closer as his hands settled on my waist. It lasted for what felt like an eternity and a second.

We eventually pulled away, my forehead resting on his as we caught our breath. I let out a disbelieving laugh, unable to stop myself. Henrik pulled away entirely and looked at me with raised eyebrows.

"Did you just laugh? Am I truly that bad at kissing?" He said teasingly.

"No," I said with a grin, "You are perfect."

We remained in a peaceful silence for a moment before Henrik spoke.

"I'm going to Mystic Falls today." He said and my head shot up in shock. Despite the fact that going there was the whole reason for our journey, Henrik had been delaying actually going there for reasons unknown.

"Do you want me to come with you?" I asked.

"I think that this is something that I need to do by myself." He explained and I nodded in understanding, "I'll take you there next time though. Will you be okay on your own for a little bit?"

"Of course, I think I'll explore the hotel. An old building like this is bound to have some secrets." I said with a smile.

"Okay, have fun." Henrik said as he grabbed his wallet and keys from the kitchen counter. He made to leave but then turned and gave me a peck on the lips. He stepped back with a lopsided smile, "You have no idea how long I'd wanted to kiss you."

"Likewise." I grinned as he left the room, winking at me before closing the door, leaving me to process what the hell had just happened.

Question: What kinks do you think each of the Mikaelsons have? You never know, I might include a couple in this book!

Originally published: May 14th 2023