chapter fourteen: blameless

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
blameless

I didn't know what to say, tears welling up at his words as I pressed myself further into his arms. I didn't know how much I craved him until this moment.

"Klaus." I whispered, which only made him hold me tighter.

"Morgana." He said my name for the first time, his voice cracking slightly on the final syllable.

I wanted to remain in his hold forever but I knew that there were things that we needed to discuss rather urgently.

"Klaus, there are some things I really need to talk to you about. Is there anywhere private we can go?" I asked gently and my mate pulled away from the hug but kept his hands on my shoulder. He didn't respond, his gaze fixed on my neck with horror. I frowned before remembering that he'd held me by my throat upon seeing me for the first time. He'd most certainly left a mark.

I brought my hand up and upon touching the bruised flesh, I couldn't prevent the quiet whimper that escaped me. Klaus let go of me and took a step back, his eyes remaining on the marks he'd left. I covered them from view with my hand as I took a step towards him.

"Hey, it's okay, you didn't know who I was." I murmured. When my words didn't get a reaction from him I tried again, "I'm okay, Klaus."

His gaze snapped to mine as he swallowed. I took another step forward, reached up and caressed his jaw with my other hand.

"I hurt you." He bit out through clenched teeth.

"Are you going to hurt me again?" I asked and he instantly shook his head, "Then I have nothing to worry about."

"I apologise, there is no excuse-" Klaus began but I cut him off.

"You're forgiven. Now, I really need you to take us somewhere private so we can talk and unfortunately we don't have a lot of time." I told him urgently before his hands landed on my waist and he sped us away using his vampire speed.

When we arrived at our location, I grabbed my head, feeling incredibly dizzy from the inhuman speed. When my head spopped spinning, I looked up to discover that we were in a fairly posh and modern apartment.

"Is this where you've been staying?" I asked as I looked around.

"Yes, this is where I've been staying for the past week." Klaus said as he lead me to a table and pulled out a chair for me. I settled into it as he sat in the one next to me.

"I like the simplicity. Elijah's place is a little too fancy for my liking." I said, noticing the way his jaw clenched upon hearing his brother's name.

"So you've met Elijah then." Klaus said, an edge of bitterness in his tone.

"Yes, I've known him for just over a month." I elaborated.

"You haven't bonded." He said in a pleased tone and my cheeks heated.

"How do you know that?" I asked with a frown.

"Because you don't carry his bite mark or his scent." Klaus explained simply and my eyes widened.

"Bite mark?" I said in confusion and slight horror.

"Elijah did explain how you complete the bond?" He questioned and I nodded.

"He mentioned we'd have to..." I trailed off, my cheeks heating.

"Fuck?" Klaus finished my sentence and a shocked cough escaped me as I attempted to compose myself. I caught the side of his mouth tilt upwards for a moment at my reaction.