chapter eleven: exploring and explaining

CHAPTER ELEVEN
exploring and explaining

As a child, it had been my dream to explore an old abandoned castle and discover all its secrets. I guess that I am living my childhood dream, except instead of a castle, it's a fancy hotel owned by my vampire mate.

Unfortunately, there seemed to be no secrets to discover. Every door led to an empty suite or a janitor's cupboard. Quite frankly, I was quickly becoming bored. Elijah had emptied the hotel of people the moment I had arrived, which meant I couldn't even people watch for entertainment.

As I went down to the lower levels of the building, my ears picked up on a distant grunt. Following the sound, I jogged down the remaining stairs and turned left into a corridor that wasn't as wide as the others. Stopping for a moment, I strained my ears, hearing a banging sound. Curiosity got the better of me and I walked down the corridor and stopped by a door.

A grunt sounded from behind it and I gently opened the door and peered inside. The room seemed to be a gym with various machines dotted around. In the center, stood Elijah with his back to me as he struck a punching bag over and over again.

A breath caught in my throat as I watched him. He was wearing simple work-out shorts and a tank top as opposed to his usual suit. I realised that this is the first time I'd seen him in casual clothes and he looked just as attractive in them as he did in a suit.

Not wanting to be caught, I came to the conclusion that I should probably leave, even though I really didn't want to. Just as I made to step backwards and out of the room, Elijah spoke in a deep and teasing tone.

"Planning to leave without saying hello?"

Mortified, I froze. Did he have eyes in the back of his head?

"How long have you known I was here?" I asked.

"I heard you the minute you came down the corridor." Elijah said, turning so he was facing me.

"Oh, right." I said with a blush, "I forgot about vampire hearing."

Elijah picked up a towel from a nearby bench and wiped the sweat from his forehead as he asked, "Where is Henrik?"

"He went to Mystic Falls, I've been exploring whilst he's been gone." I explained.

"Find anything you like?" Elijah asked conversationally and I blushed at his double meaning. I really needed to start training my face to not visibly show my every embarrassment.

"Nope!" I lied, refusing to admit that I very much liked finding him. Hoping to change the subject, I pointed to the punching bag, "That looks like an excellent stress reliever."

"You are welcome to use it whenever you like." Elijah offered as he sat on the bench and looked up at me. I suddenly felt very awkward standing up so I tentatively sat next to him.

"Thank you, but I don't know how. I'd probably break my thumb, or my whole hand!" I joked and was rewarded with a small smile.

"I will have to teach you some time," He said decisively, "It is prudent that you know to protect yourself."

"Okay." I agreed before we fell into a comfortable silence.

Silence always felt awkward to me with everyone apart from Henrik and I realised how much I had grown to like and trust Elijah over the past few weeks.

"There is something I must ask you, Morgana." He asked, breaking the silence.

"What is it?" I asked, curious and worried at the same time.

"Do you actually want this?" Elijah asked gently and I frowned with confusion.

"Want what?"

"Me," He said quickly, "And Henrik. Do you want to be with us?"

The question came as a shock and I hesitated. Before I could reply, Elijah spoke again, "I understand that we are what fate has chosen for you, but is this what you want?"

"I've obviously had difficulty in processing everything but yes, I do. Why do you ask?" I responded, shuffling closer to him on the bench.

"It's just that..." He began, an insecure look flashing on his face for a moment, "You seem to be content with our current situation and don't seem to want things to progress further."

That made me feel guilty that I hadn't let him know where I stood about our relationship. He put on such a good a façade that I almost thought it impossible for someone like him to feel any type of anxiety. I carefully placed my hand on top of his, which was resting on his thigh.

"I do want you" I felt colour rise to my cheeks as I spoke, "But our relationship is going to have to progress slowly. I don't know how much Henrik has told you but..." I trailed off, not knowing how to explain.

"You need not come up with an explanation, I understand that you've been put in a... difficult situation." He said with dismay as he made to stand up. I pushed him back down without thinking and a look of surprise crossed his face.

"But I want to explain!" I exclaimed, holding his hand in both of mine as I looked him in the eye, "Growing up, I never witnessed a good example of a healthy relationship. I saw the fighting, the yelling, the abuse. Not once did I see an ounce of love between any of my foster parents. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know how to be in a romantic relationship."

"So you wish to keep things platonic then?" Elijah asked carefully and I instantly shook my head.

"No. I just want to take things slow so I can get to know you and learn to trust you fully."

"Okay," Elijah said, nodding with acceptance. He held my hands in both of his, maintaining eye contact as he brought them to his lips and gently kissed them two times. He stood, pulling me up with him, holding my hand as he walked me out of the room. "Nothing has happened between you and Henrik?"

His tone wasn't sceptical or judgmental, merely curious and I answered honestly, "Not until about two hours ago." Elijah raised a brow and I clarified, "We kissed, for the first time, before he left for Mystic Falls."

"Okay," Elijah nodded, not seeming at all fazed with this news.

"Are you seriously okay with that? You're not jealous or anything?" I asked with a frown.

"Oh, I am insanely jealous but he is your mate just as much as I am. You are allowed to kiss him whenever you like, although I will admit to feeling somewhat competitive with my brother." Elijah said stopping in the hallway and turning to face me.

"Well then," I began, disbelieving of what I was about to do, "I guess we'll have to even out the playing field."

Elijah didn't get a chance to respond before I cupped his face and kissed him, having to go on the tips on my toes to reach him. This was only the second time I'd ever kissed anyone so I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but Elijah didn't seem to notice or care.

I recently convinced a friend of mine to watch The Originals and she doesn't think that any of the Mikaelsons are hot! So obviously I am absolutely horrified because how can you not completely fall in love with at least one of them?

Originally published: June 6th 2023