chapter twenty three: taken

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
taken

A/N: there may be a few triggers in this chapter, so please check the content warnings at the beginning of the book before reading if you have any triggers.

Choosing to leave Elijah and Elena to talk, I found myself wandering around the extensive grounds of the Lockwoods, lost in my thoughts.

Klaus was back and doing God knows what with Henrik and I was desperate to see him. I was desperate to see all of my mates, even the ones I had yet to meet. Sometimes I worried that my bond with them controlled how I thought and felt about them, but deep down I knew that was just self sabotaging nonsense. Whilst the bond pulled me towards them, I was free to make up my own mind about them.

I was incredibly eager to hear Klaus' excuse as to why he'd disappeared and I was very much looking forward to berating him if his excuse wasn't good enough.

I chuckled at the thought, noting how much I'd progressed in such a short space of time. Two months ago, I wouldn't have dared argue or raise my voice at someone, fearful of the consequences. Now, I was looking forward to arguing with my practically ancient vampire mate.

I credited Elijah for my newfound confidence. Henrik always treated me gently, which wasn't a bad thing since sometimes that is what I need, to feel safe and cherished. Elijah, on the other hand, challenged me, which was helping me grow as a person.

It made me smile that my mates helped me and influenced me in different ways. I wondered how Klaus and the others would positively impact me once I got to know them. Maybe fate knew what it was doing when it paired me with them?

Standing by a water feature, I watched as Elijah paced towards me. He adjusted his sleeves as he walked, the only crack in his calm demeanor.

"Where's Elena?" I asked when he reached me, leaning my head against his side as we watched the fountain.

"She had a family emergency but she shall return once the matter is sorted." Elijah informed me.

We fell into a comfortable silence and I closed my eyes. I could quite possibly fall asleep with my head resting against Elijah and the sound of the water. My mate wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pressed a soft, lingering kiss to my forehead.

"You must be exhausted," Elijah observed and I weakly nodded. The adrenaline had finally worn off and I desperately needed to catch up on the sleep I missed last night. "Let me drop you off at the hotel so you can get some rest."

"What about Elena?" I asked.

"Given her circumstances, I imagine there is plenty of time to get you home before she returns." Elijah mused, leading me in the direction of the car.

"Henrik said to stay with you though." I protested.

"You'll be perfectly safe at the hotel whilst I settle matters here." Elijah insisted and I nodded, making a mental note to call Henrik when I got back to the hotel.

By the time Elijah dropped me off, my eyes were drooping and all I could think about was sleep. I wearily wandered into my room and collapsed onto the bed, not bothering to get undressed. I was asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow.

***

The time on the clock told me that I'd been asleep for nearly 24 hours. My eyes widened as I double checked the time, doubting my eyes. I'd desperately needed the sleep but it was still a surprise that I'd managed to sleep for such a long time with not a single nightmare.

Stretching, I looked down at the crinkled dress from Carol that I had slept in. I'd have to iron it before returning it to her. I stood and wandered into the living room, looking for any sign of my mates.

"Henrik? Elijah?" I called out into the empty room but heard no response.

Concern fluttered through me but I repressed it for the time being. Henrik usually went for a run around this time and maybe Elijah was in the downstairs gym? I had no idea where Klaus would be so for now, I focused on finding my other mates. 

Leaving the hotel suite that I had begun to think of as home, I wandered down the empty corridor and headed downstairs towards the gym. The hotel was silent, which wasn't unusual, but something about it felt eerie. Shivering, I peered into the gym, finding it empty with the lights off. 

I frowned as I made my way back upstairs. I patted my dress, looking for my phone before recalling that I'd left it on a side table in the living room. I hurried through the corridor, eager to call Henrik and Elijah. My gut was telling me that there was something serious wrong.

I reached our suite but froze just outside. The door was open. My heart began to beat rapidly and I attempted to steady it, trying to convince myself that I'd just left it open, even though I knew it was a lie.

I had nothing on me that could be used as a weapon and I frantically looked around the hallway for something I could use. Much to my dismay, there was nothing. If I could just make it to my phone, I could call for help. Better yet, If I could make it to the kitchen, I'd have access to all the knives I could possibly need.

I could run but I knew I wouldn't get far, not if it was a vampire, which is what my gut instincts were telling me it was. My best chance was to fight and then hopefully grab my phone and call for help.

In my head, I counted down from three, mentally preparing myself for what I needed to do. In the back of my mind, memories from my past appeared but I shut them out, knowing they'd do me no good. This wasn't the first time I'd had to run from someone and just like last time, I'd make it out alive.

Fueled by adrenaline, I ran into the apartment heading for the kitchen. An arm came around my waist and I aimlessly pushed my elbow back onto my attacker. They let out a grunt, their grip loosening with surprise and I used that split second to wriggle out of their hold and run into the kitchen, slamming the door behind me.

The door would hold but it didn't need to. All I needed were the precious seconds it gave me to grab a knife. I gripped the hilt, my heart racing as my attacker burst through the door, shards of wood cascading down around me. Some of the shards collided with my bare skin and tears welled at the pain.

The figure sped towards me and I made to stab him but he expected it and dodged me. He grabbed me, pinning my arms to my sides, rendering my arms useless. I screamed, tears running down my face as I struggled.

I was unable to see my attacker's face clearly but my memories filled in the blanks, causing me to see the last man who had held me like this, a man that was long dead. A great anger swelled within me as I struggled, refusing to give up. I bit down on his forearm, the taste of iron filling my mouth and he let out a curse but his hold didn't give.

He lifted my head and I got my first good look at my attacker. I recognised him from my time in Mystic Falls and rage filled me. If my mates didn't kill him, I certainly would.

"Stop struggling." He said, looking into my eyes and I realized that he was trying to compel me. A new fear of having my will taken from me arose before I realized that I was still struggling. It hadn't worked; he couldn't compel me. Unfortunately he realized this too and the next thing I knew was darkness.

A/N: First things first, sorry for the long wait but thank you for 200k! If you haven't seen yet, I have published two other Mikaelson books, which I am very excited about!

Who do you think has taken Morgana?

Originally published: February 26th 2024