chapter twenty: the rescue

CHAPTER TWENTY
the rescue

I stood in front of the Salvatore House, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I breathed deeply to settle my nerves, knowing they would only hinder me. A perverse feeling of excitement fluttered inside of me. In an odd way, I looked forward to entering the house. I found the danger and risk oddly compelling.

If I ever told Henrik that, he would make good on his promise to chain me up in a basement.

With one final exhale, I paced towards the house under the cover of darkness. Henrik had confirmed with a spell that nobody was home but I tried to be quiet nonetheless. I knew the front door would be locked but I checked it on the off chance that it was open. When my suspicions were confirmed, I took a step back and looked up at the house, looking for another entrance. Unfortunately, I had no experience with picking locks and I knew there was no point wasting time by attempting it.

There were no open windows at the front of the house, so I began my perusal of the sides. I'd hoped that they'd left the back door unlocked and was left disappointed when I tried the handle. Panic attempted to creep its way inside me but I refused to let it. I knew I was wasting valuable seconds.

After circling the house, I confirmed that there were no open windows downstairs. There was, however, an open window upstairs at the back of the house. It looked just about big enough for me to climb through. The only problem was it stood over five feet above me.

I could attempt to break a window, however they looked to be triple paned and I highly doubted my feeble attempts at throwing a rock at them would do any damage.

Taking a deep breath, I looked up at the open window, coming to grips with what I was about to do. I put my foot of the ledge of the window below it, wincing as I heard it creek

“Elijah, you are definitely paying for my therapy after this.” I murmured to myself as my hands gripped the window ledge above me and attempted to pull myself up.

Unfortunately, I failed since I have no upper body strength.

Refusing to give up, I let the adrenaline fill me and I used every ounce of my strength. My arms protested as I pulled myself up but I refused to give in. My foot found a hole in the erosion of the brick and I used it to propel myself upwards. I almost couldn't believe I'd done it when I managed to pull my upper body through the tight window. I stopped for a moment, breathing heavily as my legs still dangled out the window.

“God, I wish the front door had been open.” I painted as I pulled myself fully through the window and looked around. I appeared to be standing in a bedroom, evidently one of the Salvatore's. Part of me wanted to be nosey and look around but that could wait until after I had rescued my mate.

I hurried into the hallway when my phone vibrated. I pulled it out to find a text from Henrik.

Klaus is here.

I blinked at the message for a moment, both confusion and shock filling me. I dialled Henrik's number and he picked up instantly.

“Mor, is everything alright?” He said urgently. In the background I could faintly hear music as well as chatter.

“Everything is good here. What on earth is Klaus doing at a High School dance?” I asked as I hurried down the hallway and down a set of stairs.

"He's tormenting the doppelganger.” Henrik said with a sigh.

"Of course he is.” I muttered as I jogged around the Salvatore House, looking for the basement door, “So, has the plan changed?”

"No, Klaus is keeping them extremely occupied so you should have plenty of time to find Elijah.” Henrik confirmed and I sighed in relief as I came to a stop in what seemed to be their kitchen.