V2 - Chapter 4: Chaotic Dissonance Part 2

Naoe was left with his thoughts. Having the election secured, he couldn't do much. Therefore, all he could do was explore what the boss was attempting. Of course, Naoe wasn't naive. He fully knew he would never truly fathom the boss' intentions. But, he needed something to fill the time.

Naoe still remembered the first time he met the boss. The feeling of shock never quite left, instead, it merely transformed into shock at the abilities displayed. If asked beforehand about some of the things the boss had accomplished, Naoe would have scoffed and said it was humanly impossible. To Naoe, the boss seemed to live in a realm beyond human comprehension. And because of this, he grew complacent in accepting the boss' orders. Despite Naoe wishing to accomplish things through his own hands, he knew he couldn't. He was truly helpless.

Like a puppet on a grand stage, Naoe danced to the rhythm the boss played with the world as the stage. Naoe had to wonder what his past self would think of himself now. He was sure that like many newcomers, he would deny such a possibility as they drown in naivety. He was sure. He was like that. But he was forcefully removed and brought to the real world. A world of complacency.

Naoe sighed and lit a cigarette. Smoking was one of the last pleasures he had left. As the boss said, whether Naoe lived or died was irrelevant because of his expendability. So, Naoe in a way hoped the cigarettes would allow him an early release. As sad as it was, that was the point Naoe had reached. A burnt out politician who made no decisions for himself. A directionless life. He exhaled, letting the smoke escape from his mouth. The cigarette slowly burned away, ebbing away at its own life.

A knock resounded on the door and Naoe crushed the cigarette and said "you may enter."

Then, a man walked through the doors. His expression was serious like usual.

"Mr. Kijima, it's good to see you again," Naoe said.

"Mr. Naoe, we need to speak urgently," Kijima said with no change in expression.

"Have a seat," Naoe offered and Kijima took one. "So, what do you wish to discuss?"

"Ayanokoji sensei."

Naoe froze for a moment before asking "and what do you wish to talk about him for?"

"It seems to me that he's searching for someone."

Naoe remained passive and asked "searching?"

"Yes, Mr. Tsukishiro keeps poking around the oddest places asking the oddest questions."

"What type of questions?"

"He's asked about lucid white dreams."

Naoe scrunched his eyebrows. He had no idea what that meant.

"Strange question," Naoe said.

"Indeed. I was hoping you could shed some light on it," Kijima said.

"Unfortunately, I do not know either."

"Is that so?" Kijima asked, staring deeply into Naoe's face.

"Yes, Ayanokoji sensei appears to have a peculiar sense of doing things. And when that is paired with Mr. Tsukishiro, that strangeness is amplified."

"I suppose you're right."

"By the way, how is the situation with Mr. Koenji going?" Naoe asked, lighting a cigarette.

"Mr. Koenji decided he would fund the project."

"That's good, isn't it?"

"Of course. I'm sure the boss will be pleased."

"So how much—"