PART 32

Though the past was harsh and cold,
Present days in beauty hold.
Memories, like gold, unfold,
In their warmth, our hearts consoled.

I looked at the woman who would either walk out of this hospital alive or not at all

I looked at the woman who would either walk out of this hospital alive or not at all. The choice was hers.

I wouldn’t allow this woman to talk to my wife. She might be Siya’s mother, but that didn’t give her the right to hover over Siya with her negative energy.

“You are not adopted, Siya,” her mother said, her voice trembling. Siya looked at her, lips pursed, arms crossed tightly over her chest.

“No need to lie. I already know the truth. In fact, I’ve known the truth even before anyone told me,” Siya replied coldly.

Her mother wasn’t lying. Siya wasn’t adopted. It was someone else. Or rather, two someone elses. I’ve known this from the start. But I didn’t want to tell Siya because it might have mended things between her and her mother. And now, I definitely didn’t want that to happen.

There are several reasons for it. First, even if she is Siya’s real mother, that doesn’t give her any right to treat my wife like trash. Second, I can’t let Siya find comfort in anyone other than me. She’s mine to protect, mine to support.

"I am not lying, you are my own flesh and blood, Siya. Why would you even think that?" my mother-in-law pleaded, her voice annoyingly emotional.

"Can you stop lying? There is no need to lie to me," Siya yelled, making me instinctively drop my arm around her shoulder. My jaw clenched as I looked at her mother.

"Get out," I said dangerously calmly. She was creating this drama while Siya was admitted to a hospital.

"My wife will get out when she wants to," my father-in-law said, making me glare at him.

"You and your wife can get out because my wife doesn't need the stress of the drama you both are creating," I said. Siya held my hand, making me look at her.

"Don't talk to my dad like that," Siya glared at me. Fucking Fantastic.

"They are causing you stress, and I won't let that happen," I said, and her eyes softened a little. "You don’t need to deal with this right now," I whispered. "Focus on getting better. We can handle everything else later."

"You won't talk to my dad in that tone. Understood?" Siya demanded, and I nodded.

"You both can go home," she said, looking past me at her parents.

"Your mother wants to talk to you, Siya. It's been years, please talk to her," Siya's father pleaded, making her stiffen.

"I have nothing to say to her," Siya replied.

"You are not adopted, Siya. Who has been feeding you these lies?" Her mother asked, seemingly unfazed by whether her daughter wanted her there or not.

"I've seen the news and certain events have made me believe you are anything but my mother," Siya said, and her mother visibly trembled. Her father moved to support her.