chapter 5

Alaila

I open the double doors before greeting my father.

I curtesy and sit beside him, kissing his cheek, "what's the matter papà?" I ask.

"The prince and the king are here." He replies, making me stifle a laugh, after that awkward encounter in the field, I'm not sure how to greet his father.

"I know." I say, "I already met him."

Papà perks up, intrigued, "what happened?"

"I was riding my horse, looked back then saw him. Then I fell and he helped me up. That's it." I explain, not wanting to explain further.

"Was anybody else there?" He asks.

"Dante was there." I reply.

"How was it?"

"It was- fine, I think." I pause, "I don't really know how it went." I don't want to give away too much because then papà might change his mind, and I can't have that.

"Ok, that's good." He whispers, "go on, your mother's calling you."

I kiss his cheek before leaving the hall and making my way back to my room.

I'm greeted by mamà, who's talking with my stylist, so I walk over to my dressing table and prod at the pins in my hair before they make their way over to me.

"We have to pick a dress for you to wear to the ball." Exclaims mamà, excitedly, but I pause, nobody told me about a ball.

"What ball?"

"We're throwing a ball tomorrow mi amore." Squeals mamà, she seems happy, and this is the happiest I've seen her In a while, so I smile and hug her.

"I can finally dance with your father again, I remember before we married, we danced together and it was- oh I'm rambling now, we need to find your dress. Have a look in here." She pulls me over to my closet and shows me a variety of dresses.

I shrug and point to a red dress, so mamà puts it on a mannequin so I can see it properly.

She squeals, "mi amore, this is going to look so beautiful on you!"

It truly does look beautiful, so beautiful that I can't imagine myself wearing it, I don't want to rip the dress or even touch it, because it looks too precious

"Can we weigh you once more miss? Before you try on the dress?" Asks my stylist, I nod and she proceeds to place the scale in front of me, and I step on it.