10 - The Beginning (Alex)

Poor doge. I don't think he realizes how hard it's going to be to move out of the Unchosens.      Nobody knows better than the books, if he's an Unchosen it's probably because he doesn't have potential. In all of the academy's history, only one Unchosen has managed to move away from that title. Who knows, maybe he'll be the second, but I'm really doubtful.
     "Bye Doge!" I say, dropping him off at his fourth period.
I turn to Vwoozi, "Do you really think he can change his guild?"
     "I mean, it's definitely going to be hard. But Doge seems like a resilient kid. I hope he can." She answers.
     "Yeah.. me too. Come on let's go to class." I tell her.
     BAM!!!! We lose balance and fall over.
     "What the hell just happened?" I ask her.
     "Why would I know?? Do you feel that too??" She asks frantically. The ground beneath us shakes. We look around, seeing people around us on the ground as well. They're just as confused as us. Suddenly, an announcement over the loudspeaker plays.
    "Everyone, we are going into our Earthquake drill. Get down and cover. Make sure to cover your head and neck."
     An earthquake?? Here?? Of this magnitude?? We've never had this large of an earthquake, in fact we barely have earthquakes.
     "Hey, don't you think this is kind of odd? We never have earthquakes like this," I tell Vwoozi.
     "Idk. Like. Isn't there climate change and stuff?" She asks.
     "Is that really how that works..?" I ask, skeptical.
     "Yeah. You know, like tectonic plates and stuff. It's because of carbon emissions, I saw it on TikTok." She tells me, confidently.
     "Huh. Yeah, okay. I guess you're right." I say. I don't believe that at all, but if it makes her feel better I guess.
     "Hey, lets move over there, with Toaster and Klicks." Vwoozi says.
     "Why would we do that? We're in the middle of an earthquake, isn't that dangerous?" I ask.
     "Okay, would you rather die here or die with our friends?" She says.
     "Thats not... We're not gonna die.." I tell her.
     She shrugs, "You never know," She gets up to walk towards our friends, stumbling as the ground rumbles.
     "Hey—" And there she goes. Okay I might as well go, If I was gonna die and I'd rather die with Klicks and Toaster.
     "How come Seth isn't with you guys?" I ask Toaster.
     "Oh he's in his room. He got sick and contracted strep, so nobody wants to be near him. He's also like bed-ridden so.." He tells me.
     That's kind of funny. Never really liked that guy that much. His hugs are kind of weird. The ground stops shaking abruptly.
     "Is it over?" I ask
     "Actually," Klicks says, pushing up his glasses with his middle finger, "Earthquakes usually have an aftershock. It could happen in a few seconds or in a few hours, it's probably best to stay here."
     "Okay. I guess we better get comfy—" I say, before the violent shaking begins again. I start vibrating and moving across the floor.
     "W—Wh–What is ha—happening???" My voice shakes.
     The entire group stares at me while they duck down. "Alex you're over exaggerating, It's really not that bad," Toaster says.
     "I— Can-t-t h-h-help it" I say, flopping around the floor. The earthquake stops. I regain composure.
     "I don't know what that was.." I say standing up. "I feel weak.." My knees buckle.
     "Alex! Are you okay?" Vwoozi says.
     "Yeah.. I think I'm just dehydrated.." I say as Vwoozi helps me up.
     "Come on, we have to evacuate now. We'll get you some water when we get there." She tells me.