16 - The Plan (Footletuce)

I whip out my cloak of invisibility and throw it on the table. "How you like them apples?" I say, asserting my intelligence.
     "Woah! Thanks Footletuce! This is perfect!" Rayvinh says.
     "Except.. we can only fit two people in here.." I admit.
     "Okay, that's not as great as you made it out to be. Who's it gonna be?" Toaster says.
     "Obviously I'm going, it's MY cloak of invisibility," I say. "And that means I get to pick who comes with me. Wilton, me and you are going."
     "I'm fine with that. What are we looking for exactly?" Wilton asks.
     "Uh no, I'm not fine with that," Toaster declares. "Shouldn't we have at least one competent person going? I don't trust these two."
     "What? We're competent." Wilton says.
     "No you're not. You two are bozos. Especially given what you did to Doge." Toaster says, angrily.
    "Woah woah woah," Rayvinh says, "What'd they do to Doge?"
I take a step towards Toaster, ignoring Rayvinh. "You don't know what you're talking about." I say harshly.
He grabs me by the collar. "I said no. We're not letting just you and Wilton go. You're gonna fuck this up for everyone."
"Okay okay guys," Klicks steps in. "Calm down, we can figure this out."
"Take me with you, or Klicks, or Rayvinh," Toaster demands. "Hell, even Alex would be better than you two together."
     "What? Whats your problem with us?! Mad cause we're stronger than you?" Wilton growls.
     "Oh stronger? Please I'm a better conjuror than you and you know it. Want to go check the rankin—" Toaster snarls.
      Klicks stands between us and toaster, putting his arm between our torsos. "Guys, let's be rational, we don't have a lot of time. Footletuce, can we squeeze in three people maybe? So you and Wilton can go and someone else can join?"
     I scoff. "Yeah, I guess, but it's gonna be a real tight fit. I'm not going with Toaster."
     Toaster glares at me. "Whatever, I didn't wanna go with you anyway."
     "Klicks can join us!" Wilton says excitedly.
     "There, we solved it. I'll go with you guys." Klicks says.
      A smile spreads across Wilton's face. There's no way... He doesn't like Klicks, does he? Has he been keeping this from me? I feel a knot form in my stomach.
     "Okay guys.." I say despondently. "Here's the cloak. We're gonna have to squish."
     I put the cloak on and I feel it drape over my body. I extend my arms out, inviting them to come in. Klicks stands next to me and Wilton goes under the cloak next to him. Our faces are barely touching, I can feel the warm exhales coming out of Klicks' nose tickling my cheek. Wilton looks.. Suspiciously close to Klicks'.. And suspiciously happy..
     "Alright guys we need a plan," Klicks says. "Rayvinh, you're the brains, what should we do?"
     "Do you think you guys could steal me the sorting book? If you bring it back here, I can examine it and determine what caused Doge's sorting to go wrong." Rayvinh asks.
     "Yeah, I'm good to go, are you guys?" Klicks asks us.
     Wilton smiles like he's deranged. "Mhmm!" He says, happily.
     "Yeah... I'm fine." I say.
     We close the cloak over our bodies and leave Vwoozi's dorm.
     "How are we going to take the book without the librarian noticing?" I whisper.
     "Footletuce, are you dumb?" Wilton asks. "We're invisible, he's not gonna notice."
     "No no, he has a point. We might be invisible, but we'll still be able to be heard. We're going to need to be very quiet."
     Wilton's face turns red in embarrassment. "Yeah, you're right." He says.
     We arrive outside the library door.
     "Okay guys, here's the plan. We're gonna sneak in there. TIPTOEING. And we're gonna snatch the book quickly and quietly. Then we'll exit the library and teleport back to Vwoozi's dorm." Klicks explains.
     We give him a nod. We tiptoe toward the lectern, each step perfectly in sync with each other. I feel our heartbeats synchronize, and that's when I knew, these were my friends for life. This where I belong. Not as an outcast with Wilton, but in a group.
     There it is—the magic book in all its glory. I turn to Klicks, looking at him for approval. He nods at me. I shit on his face. I go to reach for the book, but something grabs it before I do. Wilton? Why didn't he let me do it.. He's not trying to look cool in front of Klicks right? Am I not enough for him? I feel the others' feet start to move. Okay Footletuce, lock in.
     We make it out of the library with the book. "Alright, lanuae Magicae on three," Klicks says. "One, Two, Three!"
     "Lanuae Magicae!" We all say in unison.
     "Did you guys get it?" Alex asks.
     "Yup." Wilton says, like the badass he is.
     "See? It's a good thing Klicks came with you guys." Toaster says.
     "Uh no, I'M the one who grabbed it." Wilton says.
     "Okay— We're not starting this again. Wilton, give me the book." Rayvinh commands