13 - Redemption (Footletuce)

"Hello everyon, All classes are canceled for the rest of today. You may have noticed the abundance of ill students in our campus, know that we are working on resolving this issue. Please return to your dormitories until further notice."
     "Great," Wilton says, "How are we supposed to execute the prank on Doge now?"
     "Don't worry, I'll think of something," I assure him as we walk to our room.
     "Hey shouldn't Doge be in our room?" Wilton asks. "How can we plan something with him in the room?"
     "We're conjurors, and you're really asking how we can plan something? Think outside the box Wilton, you didn't get into this academy for nothing." I tell him
     "Okay.." He replies, unpleased.
     "Hey! That's it, we're conjurors, let's get back to our dorm quickly and before he comes back we'll conjure ants into his belongings. Then, we'll set up a web of strings and cover them in honey, so that when he runs from the ants he'll get stuck in the strings. We can record it all and it'll be hilarious." I say.
     "Thats... Genius! But.. Isn't that the prank from 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days?'" He asks me.
     "No.. I've never seen that movie." I tell him. "Okay, we're here. Where did he put his stuff?"
     Wilton points at the luggage standing in the middle of the room. "It's probably that."
     "Oh! Silly little me!" I exclaim.
     "Iurans formicae," we say in unison. "Iurans formicae. Iurans formicae."
     Soon piles of ants start to emerge. We stuff them inside of Doge's luggage, between his mattress, in his pillows.
     "Ha ha," Wilton laughs maniacally, "He's gonna have a great sleep tonight..."
     "Yeah yeah, let's get started with the strings."
     We begin to take out the string but a problem arises.
     "Wait, won't he see the string set up before he goes to grab his stuff?" I ask.
     "That's.. a good point..." Wilton says. "You idiot! You're the one who thought of this plan—"        Wilton says as he begins to lecture me, until he's interrupted by the presence of two beings.
     Wilton looks up. "T-Toaster?" —he turns his head toward the right— "Doge?"
     "What are you guys doing..." Toaster asks.
     "I— Nothing!" I say, tossing the skein of string behind me. "What are YOU doing?"
     "...I teleported Doge with me to grab his things, why do you guys look like that?"
     "Us? Why do YOU look like that?" I say to deflect the question.
     "I... Okay.." Toaster shrugs. "Doge, where are your things?"
     Shit. Toaster is gonna get us if he finds the ants we put in Doge's things. I look at Wilton. He looks just as worried as me.
     "Umm.. Wait! Why are you guys collecting his things?" I blurt out, attempting to stall.
     "We're working together to save the academy. I had some things I wanted to grab first." Doge answers.
     "Save the academy?" Wilton asks. "From what?"
     "Yeah, are you guys dense? Have you not noticed the amount of people getting sick and losing their powers? You're lucky it hasn't hit you yet." Toaster says, reaching for Doge's luggage. "What did you need again?" He asks Doge as he unzips the luggage.
     "Wait—" I yell.
     "What the fuck..." Toaster says, slowly lifting up his hand to see the ants crawling all over him. He shakes them off. "Doge, why are there ants all over your shit?"
     "I don't know why those are there.." Doge says.
     Me and Wilton stay silent.
     "Wilton, Footletuce, why are these ants inside of Doge's luggage?" Toaster interrogates.
     "We don't know anything about that." I state.
     "Yeah," Wilton nods in agreement, "Doge is a weirdo— it makes sense he'd bring ants along with him."
     Toaster stands up, towering above us. He stares down at us with a menacing gaze. "You guys. I know you did this. Admit to it."
     "We literally had nothing to do wit—" Wilton begins to say.
     "OKAY WE DID IT I'M SORRY!!" I blurt out. Wilton glares at me.
     "WHAT THE HELL YOU GUYS, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?? That's probably why you guys didn't even notice the crisis happening in the academy— you've been too busy plotting this immature shit against Doge. What did he even do to you guys? This is your first year here, you're not in middle school anymore, act like it. Apologize to him."
     I notice the tears welling up in Doge's eyes— is he actually upset about this? I thought— I didn't know it'd affect him this badly.. I never wanted to hurt someone like this, I thought it was light-hearted.. I knew it, I knew we were taking this too far. I told Wilton and he acted like I was crazy for it.
     "Doge," —I look into his eyes, solemnly— "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to get how it got. We were poking fun, or at least I thought we were. Trust me, it's nothing personal against you, I just wanted to have a good time. I didn't think about how it could affect you. I'm sorry, seriously." His gaze meets mine, he looks relieved to hear this from me. I smile at him, genuinely.
     "Yeah, whatever, we're sorry." Wilton says, bitterly.
     "Its okay you guys, I don't want there to be any hard feelings between us. Do you think, you guys could help us solve this case?" Doge asks.
     "Yeah of course, we owe you anyway. Fill us in."