chapter 9

After a long and heartbreaking conversation with my mother and Mrs. Reddi, I eventually became silent and agreed to go to the psychiatric hospital for treatment. 

Mrs. Reddi made a few calls and arrangements for me to be at the hospital as soon as possible. 

Within a couple of hours, I'm sitting in the back seat of my mom's car.

We've been driving for about ten minutes now and we're about thirty minutes away from the hospital.

We're passing a sign, reading 'Leaving Mauder Falls.' I've lived in the suburbs of Mauder Falls all my life, and have never really left my hometown. 

I turn and look out the window and see nothing but trees and bushes.

My Mom glances at me through the rear-view mirror.

"Honey, I'm so sorry it had to come to this," she says softly. "Just know we're doing this for you."

"Whatever."

"So, what did you pack? Mrs. Reddi said to bring five pants and shirts, as well as-"

"I packed nothing, Mom. I know I'll be out of this shit-hole tomorrow. I know you and Dad are going to take me out." 

"Language, Summer. And no, I'm sorry, but we can't take you out of the hospital. You have to complete the treatment program."

"Yeah, whatever," I mumble. I know she'll take me out. She can't stand the idea of having her daughter in a psycho place. 

"I'll visit every week. I'm sure the program will go by fast and you'll be out before you know it," she says with a small smile.

I don't respond. I stare at the window and see we're on a highway now.

-------------------------

BACK AT SCHOOL

"Mei!" Dylan shouts as he runs over to Mei. 

"Dylan?" Mei narrows her eyes at Dylan. She barely talks to Dylan and knows only of the bad things he's done. He's a troublemaker in school and out of school. He punched a girl's face once and her eye was bruised for weeks.

"Hey, I was wondering if we could talk about Summer. She wasn't in school today and I'm worried." He catches up to Mei and they sit down on the staircase outside of the school. 

"Why do care about Summer? Since when did you start talking to her?" Mei glares at Dylan. She knows boys like this can hurt Summer. 

"I care about her, Mei. Please, just tell me if something bad happened."

"Summer won't fucking respond to my calls or texts, so I don't know. She didn't show up at lunch, and when I checked in the nurse, Summer wasn't there," Mei tells Dylan. "I know she was in school, because my algebra teacher told me. He asked if I knew anything about why Summer was... crying." She bites her lips. She's never seen Summer cry, and the one time she did, Mei wasn't there to help her. She felt bad. 

"Oh, shit. I'm worried about her. I kind of... did something bad yesterday at the party and I regret it so much. Do you think she'd forgive me?" Dylan whispers.

"What did you do?" Mei snaps, glaring into his soul.

"We made out and I guess I realised if I were to be with her, I would have to deal with her issues. I was scared and confused because I didn't know if I wanted to be involved with her issues. But now I know I want to help her with her issues and that I really like her."