CHAPTER 7 THE HAUNTING PAST

Seb watched Monica console the little girl. She looked too warm, caring and kind unlike what she displayed when she was around him. Her behavior at the moment if anyone would have mentioned it to him a while ago, he would have dismissed it as a big lie. He drunk from his glass slowly leaning against the pillar of the house. A young man approached Monica, he smiled fondly at her and hugged her. Seb chocked, she had a boyfriend?
No not that he cared but that sassy lady had a boyfriend? Or was it a husband? She had no ring, it is probably a boyfriend.
Was she sassy towards her boyfriend, he wondered and it's not like it was his habit to eavesdrop on other people's conversation. But Monica was an interesting woman.

"When did you come?"
"Around eight, I was caught up at the office. So how's work?"
"Good" Monica answered, Lewis took a step closer which Monica responded to by stepping back.
"Um... I heard mother traveled to Nigeria, she's not back till now.  Have you called her?" Monica inquired
"Not yet, I was too busy"
"Try to, she didn't pick my call when I did"
"I will"

*Oh, so he's your brother* Seb squinted his eyes to look at the young man closely*is that not Lewis Kings?*

"Hey, I have been looking for you all over." Seb was interrupted, he almost groaned. His detective play was cut short.
"Oh yes, Mr Mailer how have you been?"
They shook hands warmly
"Fine, what about you? And your father?"
"I doing well, the old man is doing well too. He sent me an apology he Was caught up in a meeting at the coast"
"It's fine, he called me not long ago "
"That is good!"
"Any updates?" The man asked wagging his brow towards Monica who was still talking to Lewis.
"Uh, no not what you're thinking Mr Mailer."
"Are you interested in her? I am sure madam Laura wouldn't mind having a handsome guy like you for a son in law!"
"Oh, you flatter me " Seb dismissed the man then realized something "wait, did you say madam Laura? Laura Kings?"
"Yes, that is her first daughter Monica then there is another one Ivy... The less social one. The mean one"
"So Monica is not mean?"
"Not at all, she's a very kind woman!"
Seb laughed at the claim. The grey haired man was confused by his action.
"She's my secretary! And I have never met a spirited woman like her in my whole life!"
"She's just outspoken and stubborn, other than that she's a darling" the old man smirked knowingly "or is she not your type?"
Seb laughed nervously ignoring the question. He glanced at Monica who was noe walking into the crowd. Lewis was standing at the same spot staring at her disappearing figure, his eyes seemed to be really sparling as he watched her walk away.

*What the hell? That's not the kind of gaze a brother should look at her sister with.*

Seb instantly knew that the guy was whipped, he desired his own sister. Wasn't that a little out of line? How can someone possibly be so enchanted by his own sister? This was interesting, oh how he loved thrilling dramas. Tsk, play time was here!

Monica approached a bunch of ladies from campus. She was aware that she didn't have genuine friends other than Amanda, the rest wanted to be close to her because of Laura. Laura was a rich woman, she was beautiful, well behaved and aged like a vampire. She also had the most important thing according to many; "connections" and her kind nature added to their advantage.
She loved hearing their lies, it was amusing how money made a mere human a god. Even in her worst looks they wouldn't miss to complement her and expect a dollar in return. Amusing.
She was walking back to the counter to get her glass filled when she suddenly felt like she was being watched. She looked around, but no one seemed to be interested in her affairs at all. She filled her glass, then a figure in black suit appeared somewhere around the tents. A man, he was watching her intently as if he knew who she was. She tried to ignore the feeling nagging her to disappear. But the shadow followed her, slowly as she made her way through the crowd. She swallowed nervously, looking at the direction, but the man was not there. She sighed in relief only to see him metres away before her and he had a dagger in his hand.
She stepped back, panic struck and confused. What was this?
Did...